From: Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, December 23, 2016 7:12 pm
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] FILE or folder location is denied

I'm just a bit surprised since you generally seem to know what you are
talking about. LOL although I suppose we all have to learn the hard way at
some point. I'm sure I've made quite a few doozies in my time. I just
don't remember them at the moment or I'm intentionally blocking the
memories.
From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date sent: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 14:04:11 -0500

LOL the public folder? That's a doozy.
From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date sent: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 12:52:41 -0600

You may have discussed it before but I don't recall. It's also worth
pointing out that there are some bloatware programs that you know can be
deleted.. But people often delete programs without knowing what they do
and they later find they can't do something that program would have done.
Just because something is included on a computer by the manufacturer
doesn't automatically make it bloatware.

Also, I don't install software unless I have a way to revert the computer
in case the software unexpectedly causes problems and uninstalling it
doesn't stop them or in case the uninstallation causes unexpected
problems.

From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date sent: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 12:15:24 -0600

Don't presume when you delete things that you don't know enough
about to delete. Wouldn't it have made more sense to ask first?
And do you have system restore working, which will probably
restore the folder and files, if needed? It is bad procedure to
play around in this way unless you either know that it is safe or
have a reliable way to revert the machine.

Taking actions such as deleting folders or files on the
presumption that they don't matter is just wreckless.

From: Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, December 23, 2016 5:01 pm

The key here is to take ownership of the file or folder in
question which
that article does mention, but does not actually provide
instructions for
doing so as far as I can tell. Here are some instructions I
wrote a while
back which might help.

Usually this problem occurs because you have to take ownership
of the
files/folders before you can grant yourself full permissions.
Windows does
have equivalent commands to chmod.

For example, to take ownership of a specific file and grant
yourself full
permissions you could use the following from the command prompt:

takeown /f "C:\folder name\file name.ext“&&icacls "C:\folder
name\file
name.ext" /grant administrators:F

To do the same with an entire folder, all of it's files and
subfolders:

takeown /f "C:\folder" /r /d y&&icacls "C:\folder" /grant
administrators:F
/t

If that doesn't work, you can alternatively try the following
instructions:

1. Highlight the folder in Explorer.

2. Press Alt Enter to access it's properties.

3. Navigate to the
"Security"
tab.

4. Tab to the
"Advanced"
button and select it.

5. See what it says in the
"Owner"
field. If it already says
"Administrators"
proceed to step 9. If it says anything else like
"TrustedInstaller"
tab to the
"Change"
link and press the Spacebar to select it.

6. Type
"Administrators"
and select the
"OK"
button.

7. Tab to the
"Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
checkbox and enable it.

8. Select the
"Apply"
button. After a couple of seconds, you should receive a dialog
which says,

Windows Security
If you have just taken ownership of this object, you will need
to close
and reopen this object's properties before you can view or
change
permissions.
OK

9. Select the
"OK"
button to close the dialog and then select
"OK"
twice more to close the
"Advanced Security Settings"
and
"Properties"
dialogs respectively.

10. Again making sure that the folder is highlighted, press Alt
Enter to
reopen the
"Properties"
dialog.

11. Return to the
"Security"
tab.

12. Select the
"Edit"
button.

13. Select
"Administrators"
from the list.

14. Tab to the
"Allow Full control"
checkbox and enable it.

15. Select the
"Apply"
button.

16. Select the
"OK"
button twice to close the
"Permissions"
and
"Properties"
dialogs respectively.

17. Try doing whatever you were attempting in the folder again.