Re: FILE or folder location is denied

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

hi John,
yep, everything's fine, did multiple of reboots, everything. since they were corrupted, and they weren't the appdata, all's well. they were application data, which is different to appdata.

On 23/12/2016 9:49 PM, John Gregory wrote:
Rajmund,

The folders you are describing are 'system' folders and are generally
hidden, even when 'show all folders' is selected in the folder view options.
You have evidently enabled the 'show system files and folders' to see these
folders.They are remnants of the old 2000 and NT OS and are required to
preserve compatibility. I would suggest you try to run 'system restore' and
then disable the 'show system files and folders' option so that you are not
tempted to seek access to them. Have you acgtually tried to reboot since
deleting these folders, and did the OS boot?

John.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Rajmund
Sent: 23 December 2016 19:07
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] FILE or folder location is denied

Doing some further research, this is the folder that's important, appData. I
can't find anything about application data while researching, however.And
app data is there, safe, and viewable.

Sent from a Braille Sense

From: Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, December 23, 2016 5:01 pm

The key here is to take ownership of the file or folder in question
which that article does mention, but does not actually provide
instructions for doing so as far as I can tell. Here are some
instructions I wrote a while back which might help.

Usually this problem occurs because you have to take ownership of
the files/folders before you can grant yourself full permissions.
Windows does have equivalent commands to chmod.

For example, to take ownership of a specific file and grant yourself
full permissions you could use the following from the command prompt:

takeown /f "C:\folder name\file name.ext&&icacls "C:\folder
name\file name.ext" /grant administrators:F

To do the same with an entire folder, all of it's files and subfolders:

takeown /f "C:\folder" /r /d y&&icacls "C:\folder" /grant
administrators:F /t

If that doesn't work, you can alternatively try the following
instructions:

1. Highlight the folder in Explorer.

2. Press Alt Enter to access it's properties.

3. Navigate to the
"Security"
tab.

4. Tab to the
"Advanced"
button and select it.

5. See what it says in the
"Owner"
field. If it already says
"Administrators"
proceed to step 9. If it says anything else like "TrustedInstaller"
tab to the
"Change"
link and press the Spacebar to select it.

6. Type
"Administrators"
and select the
"OK"
button.

7. Tab to the
"Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
checkbox and enable it.

8. Select the
"Apply"
button. After a couple of seconds, you should receive a dialog
which says,

Windows Security
If you have just taken ownership of this object, you will need to
close and reopen this object's properties before you can view or
change permissions.
OK

9. Select the
"OK"
button to close the dialog and then select "OK"
twice more to close the
"Advanced Security Settings"
and
"Properties"
dialogs respectively.

10. Again making sure that the folder is highlighted, press Alt
Enter to reopen the "Properties"
dialog.

11. Return to the
"Security"
tab.

12. Select the
"Edit"
button.

13. Select
"Administrators"
from the list.

14. Tab to the
"Allow Full control"
checkbox and enable it.

15. Select the
"Apply"
button.

16. Select the
"OK"
button twice to close the
"Permissions"
and
"Properties"
dialogs respectively.

17. Try doing whatever you were attempting in the folder again.