Re: Social media sites - was My blog

Victor

Sometimes Facebook is a pain to use. But if you visit m.facebook.com,
their mobile site, you can access it pretty easily.

Google Plus is pretty user-friendly, but it seems to be geared more
toward professionals who want to collaborate on different things.

VictorOn 9/24/15, Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Christina,

With most blogs, there is usually a link to sign up, so for mine for
instance: https://22point.wordpress.com/ There's a "sign me up" or
"Follow" button, and if you do that, then yes, you will get new posts I
make via email. Some of the sites are easier than others to get around.

Twitter is good because messages on twitter are limited to 160
chararcters. You can sign up at www.twitter.com and it will ask a few
questions and offer suggestions for accounts or people you might want to
follow. So for instance I have a personal twitter account, but I also
have one for 22 Point - so you can follow individual people you know, or
you can follow companies, sports teams, celebrities, news agencies etc,
whatever you are interested in. Then when you go back to the twitter
site (or there are a number of programs you can use either on your
computer or a mobile phone) you can read through what the people you
follow have been posting.

Facebook broadly offers many of the same kinds of things as I mentioned
for twitter above - you can follow friends, celebrities, companies etc,
however there aren't as many limitations on what you can post, so you
can write much longer posts, or join groups which are a bit like email
lists but contained on the facebook site. Sadly, facebook's
accessibility isn't great, so it's often a pain to get around. Add to
that it's very hard to get it to show you posts in order - it keeps
defaulting to "random order" (they call it "top posts" but it's random),
AND you don't get to see everything from most pages anyway -
particularly companies, it will only show you occasional posts from
companies even if they post much more. I think facebook is slowly
killing itself by alienating its users.

How I tend to find myself getting into new social media or sites, is
when I see something from someone who posts there - eg Michael mentioned
a few sites I've never really used. If I saw someone here post a link
to posts they were making on say Pinterest, and I was interested in
that, I'd be more inclined to follow that lead and maybe sign up for it
myself and then see who else is on. I joined Ello last year as I had a
client ask me about it, and I see occasional emails from Ello but to be
honest I never go there and when I do I don't really find anything so
I've never got into it, so it's something where you really need a reason
to go to any of these sites AND needing reasons to go back.

Regards

Quentin.

--
22 Point

Web: http://www.22point.com.au
Check out our "Making Windows 10 Easy" ebooks and award winning app,
RapiTap!

On 24/09/2015 9:02 PM, Christina Stolze wrote:
I don't know enough about blogs, twitter and Facebook I mainly don't know
how to use them I personally have no time and or patients for Facebook and
the nonsense and drama people put on there I might be interested in
learning how to use twitter and blogging I kind of like easy and simple
because even after 3 years under my belt with my computer I am still Leary
about a lot of things because I don't want to do anything to break my
computer or cause my computer to crash when I read a lot of the things
that people put on this list I feel so lost I feel like everyone is
speaking a foreign language . I guess what I am trying to ask is does
anyone have any suggestions on how I can learn how to do twitter and at
least read blogs. Is reading blogs anything like reading emails? Thank you
in advance for all your help.
Best Wishes
Christina