Re: These 6 Women Undergrads At MIT Invented A Game Changer For The Blin - forbes.comd #article

Carolyn Arnold

If we're on a tech list, isn't it better if we learn, if we did not know, the correct usage of a word, as it relates to computers or other technical issues?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] These 6 Women Undergrads At MIT Invented A Game Changer For The Blin - forbes.comd

I'm not sure what you are saying. I was addressing only one point, that the word depreciated has a different meaning than depricated when deprecated is used in computer jargon and that the proper word should be used. I'm not sure if you are saying that the word deprecated shouldn't be used on the list because people may not understand it properly or confuse it with another word. But I believe that the correct word should be used and explained if the writer thinks it may be misunderstood.

Here is part of a definition for the computer jargon use of the word:
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/deprecated
Deprecated means, generally, that something is acknowledged but discouraged.
In IT, deprecation means that although something is available or allowed, it is not recommended or that, in the case where something must be used, to say it is deprecated means that its failings are recognized. The term may be used with almost any element of IT, including software, hardware, methods, models and practices.
The rest of the discussion talks about its use in contexts such as computer languages. those interested may follow the link I provided and read the rest. But an example was given that HTML5 may provide ways of doing things that are better than HTML4 and the HTML4 ways, though they may still work, have been deprecated.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 7:17 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] These 6 Women Undergrads At MIT Invented A Game Changer For The Blin - forbes.comd

And how are most ordinary English-understanding readers here going to know the differences in meaning? (There is no i in the word ‘deprecated’.) ‘Depcecated’ carries more force in ordinary English language usage than it does in computer jargon. What if I said, ‘i deprecate the use of jargon where it it’s not understood?’

HumanWare (in the post from Greg Stilson that I quoted from) have given their reasons for their use of this ‘so-called’ deprecated OS. Now, can you see where use of ordinarily loaded words leads? I’d be rather surprised if Hims (or whoever) doesn’t use a likewise deprecated OS in the Android system when they in their turn develop a touch-screen-based braille note-taker.

Why didn’t Google more seriously develop BrailleBack? Had they done so, there’d be less need for HumanWare et al to try and reinvent the Braille wheel there, not to mention the greater expense that has been incurred on the would-be braille touch-screen device users among us.

Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2017 12:17 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] These 6 Women Undergrads At MIT Invented A Game Changer For The Blin - forbes.comd I wasn't commenting on your post, but rather the comment by Olusegun that both words mean the same thing. Outdated programs aren't depreciated. they are depricated.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 5:14 PM

Gene,

I was talking mainly about deprecate/deprecation which, in its ordinary English sense, means what I’ve outlined previously. Depreciation is also used in computer terminology. I wouldn’t expect many readers here to know that deprecate has a particular meaning when discussing computer tech and computer OS’s and commands.

Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] These 6 Women Undergrads At MIT Invented A Game Changer For The Blin - forbes.comd Depreciation means to lose value through use and/or age such as machines used in a business. It does not have the same technical meaning as depricate and I don't think it has any technical meaning in computer jargon.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 2:31 PM

In ordinary English, 'deprecate' also means, "to express strong disapproval of; deplore; belittle. "The Teacher should not deprecate his students.'

Anyway, if someone else doing an A.T. device with Braille display comes along, will they follow in HumanWare's footprints, or will they somehow blaze their own trail successfully? I rather suspect however that they too, will find it necessary to make compromises tso as best to meet their users'
needs with using the facilities of Android.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 6:08 PM

Flor wrote in part:

"You keep on saying 'deprecated'. Do you actually mean, 'depreciated'?"

Same meaning, so it works!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.