Re: windows 8 installing programs help needed

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Gene,
The file explorer of 8.1, I dare to say, is identical to 10's, with one exception, storage devices show up differently.

Sent from a Braille Sense

----- Original Message -----
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Saturday, January 7, 2017 1:46 pm
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] windows 8 installing programs help needed

I knew ribbons were used in Windows 10 but I didn't know Windows 8 uses them.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 7:39 AM

Gene,

This command doesn't work in Windows later than 7 as 8.1 and 10 use ribbons. The keyboard command for 'folder options' is Alt + y + o.

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 07 January 2017 13:31

One of the first things you should do with any Windows machine that doesn't do this, is have file extensions read. By default, file extensions aren't shown. It doesn't matter what version of Windows is being used. File extensions should be set to be read. Issue the command Windows key e.
When Windows Explorer opens, press alt, then t for tools and o for options.
Shift tab once.
Right arrow to view.
Tab until you get to advanced settings which is a treeview.
Down arrow until 7you get to hide extensions for known file types and press enter to uncheck the check box. Then tab to and activate the ok button.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 5:55 AM

the file info that narrrator read out to me was setup and then it said it was an application

Keith
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 5:11 AM

Hi Keith,

When you say you clicked on 'setup.exe', are you absoluteley sure it was 'setup.exe'? I have just had a look at the files for Window-Eyes 9.5 and there are several 'setup' files:

setup.bmp
setup.exe
setup.ini
setup.inx
setuptl.exe

If you clicked on one of the other files other than 'setup.exe' then I suspect you will get an error message. What I would suggest therefore is (assuming that your thumb drive is 'e:' and the WE 8.4 files are in the root folder):

1. Press Windows key + R;

The 'run' dialog box will appear.

2. Type (without the quotes): 'e:\setup.exe' and press the enter key;

Hopefully the WE installation will start. Note, the talking installer for Window-Eyes takes quite a while to kick in, so be patient, you will not necessarily hear anything before the talking installer loads.

HTH

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith S
Sent: 07 January 2017 10:49

I've tried that and narrator says nothing
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 4:12 AM

Hi Carlos, the UAC was my first thought, but that defaults to 'No', so as you say, it is not UAC. Cannot think of what it could be at the moment other than an error dialog box.

Keith, when the 'OK' button comes up, have you tried Alt + Tab out of the dialog and then Alt + Tab back into it so that Narrator reads the entire box? Doing this may or may not give some idea as to the nature of the dialog box.

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: 07 January 2017 09:59

Never mind. Now that I think about it, which is not often since I don't have UAC enabled myself, there should be no
"OK"
button in the UAC prompt.
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 4:55 AM

That is most likely the User Account Control AKA UAC prompt asking if you want to allow the installation to proceed. Try running setup again and when you hear the sound, press Alt+Y to select the
"Yes"
button. For the record, although there are certainly differences between Windows 7, 8, and 10, they also have many basic things in common. Most of the issues you have experienced so far are due to lack of experience. All of the questions you have asked so far would for the most part have received the same replies if you were running 7 or 10.
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:06 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] windows 8 installing programs help needed

Hi,

I took several of the suggestions offered to me regarding installing programs and was able to install classic shell to my new windows 8 machine.

I then placed the contents of my window eyes 8.4 cd onto a thumb drive and used the windows key plus R combo and opened the thumb drive and found the setup.exe file and hit enter on it.

Nothing happened, but then there was some sort of sound and a new window appeared with an okay button, but nothing else. Nothing was read under the narrator TTS.

I am logged into the admin account, so I'm not sure what is going on or what else I should be doing.

Kind of wish I could have gotten my hands on a windows7 or windows 10 machine, but my wife got the computer for me.

Didn't do her research I'm guessing.

Thanks for any help.

keith

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.