Re: Looking for a method to quickly determine carbs on packaging of food products

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
And, How, exactly, does it take 800 dollars yearly to operate an iPhone? And anyways, quite a few of us pay it monthly, and which then means the price is less. Anyway, this 800 dollar thing, I'm curious about.

Sent from a BrailleNote

----- Original Message -----
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date sent: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 06:48:12 -0500
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Looking for a method to quickly determine carbs on packaging of food products

So how come so many blind people can afford an IPhone, which costs about $500, plus $70 a month for service? This works out to about the same cost as an ID Mate for the first year of service. After that, an IPhone costs over $800 a year to operate it every single year you own it. Yet, the unemployment rate among the blind is allegedly 70%. Either there are a lot of rich blind folks out there or else the unemployment rate among the blind is being greatly exaggerated by the advocacy groups.

Gerald

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 6:30 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Looking for a method to quickly determine carbs on packaging of food products

Oh I won't debate it's value, LOL but unfortunately none of that changes the fact that I just can't afford one. And I can't imagine that most blind people in general can afford one casually without some kind of government sponsorship, to which I also don't have access at this time.
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 6:16 PM

I somewhat agree with your assessment of the cost of the ID
Mate. But a friend of mine has one. It reads about 4 million products, she says. And it reads everything, including the list of ingredients. If you find something that it doesn�셳 read, you can send the information back to the company through the ID Mate, and they will research it and make that information available to other users if they come across that product. In addition, when I asked, she said that it recognizes other products such as mouth wash and CD�셲.

Also, it can connect with the databases in many grocery stores. It makes it possible for her to do her own shopping sans sighted assistance. She says that it is the only stand alone bar code reader. She finally got one because she has a couple of allergies and kept buying foods which made her sick. Now she can check on things before she pays for them.

TerriLynne

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 2:33 PM

Ugh, $1,299.00? Really? Never freaking mind jeez. For a stupid barcode scanner? Even a talking one. That is beyond insane.

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 2:28 PM

Excellent, this is exactly what I am looking for. How much is one of those?

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 2:23 PM

Have you checked out a talking bar code scanner like the ID Mate, which can read the information on product labels?

http://www.envisionamerica.com/products/idmate/

Gerald

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 2:06 PM

There are several ways of determining this kind of information by searching, but a direct method of scanning packages would be much more convenient for dealing with many products.

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 1:56 PM

Does a site like Directions For Me (spelling) provide such information? They include lots of information found on packaging of items they list and they list a lot of food items.

As far as something that actually scans packaging and provides such information, I have no idea.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 12:13 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] Looking for a method to quickly determine carbs on packaging of food products

So in addition to my infection, I have been recently diagnosed as Type II diabetic. Joy freaking joy.

I am looking for either standalone or PC attachable peripheral scanning devices which can be used to quickly determine carbs on the packaging of food products. I don't know if something like a barcode scanner can be used for this purpose and if any such options are accessible. Please no recommendations of Android or iPhone apps.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7998 / Virus Database: 4756/13859 - Release Date: 01/29/17

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.