Re: Windows Size Memory Not Being Retained

David Ferrin <df7782@...>

I stand corrected, thank you.

Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2017 9:07 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Windows Size Memory Not Being Retained

Menus are not additional windows.  The structure at almost the top of the screen in a typical Windows program is called a menu bar for a reason.  The bar extends from left to right across the top of the screen.  Movement follows design.  When you press alt, you are moved to the menu bar.  When you right or left arrow, you are moving from one menu to another.  When you press enter or down or up arrow, you are opening a menu and the menu extends down from the menu bar.  Since it extends down, you use the up and down arrows to move through the menu you opened.  If you up arrow while on the menu bar, the menu you are on opens and you jump to the end of the menu.  If you down arrow, you start moving down the menu items from the bar downward. 

Thus, in a file menu, down arrowing once will place you on new if that is the first item below the menu bar.

While such a discussion may be of interest because people are curious, knowing something about structures and being aware that movement on the keyboard follows structure, helps in working with programs where review methods need to be used along with a virtual mouse to work in a program that isn't fully accessible. 

gene 

Gene----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2017 7:33 AM

If I might try and jump in here. Open notepad which is a window in and of itself. Then open the file menu which is a window inside of notepad. Get the idea?

Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2017 8:24 AM

Hi Carlos, Flor, & Jim,

Well, the problem turned out to be that Backstage view had to be turned off, & not a window size / state issue at all.  I do have a question now that a child window was mentioned.  Would y'all please explain the family tree of computer windows?!  I thought I had a notion, but I would like it straightened out in my mind.  Thank you all very much on your windows state input, & for any help you can provide on the windows family tree.  I'm calling it the window family tree because I don't know what else to call it, but I'm referring to parent child, & aunt, & uncle windows.  Which in the hell is which?!  LOL 
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 3:01 AM

Mike,

Also there are ‘document windows’ that may need to be maximized from within Word. It may be that, although Microsoft Word itself is maximized the ‘child window’ - active document at the time is not. Perhaps ctrl+F6, then if there is a document in focus there maximize it in the usual way. Now, there used to be keystrokes for manipulating child windows as distinct from application windows. (Ctrl+F4 closes the ‘active document or child window’), but I can’t find them here. Windows10 has extra keystrokes that may accomplish much the same thing, like with the Windows + arrow keys.

Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 6:37 AM
Hi Mike,

A couple of points worth considering.  First, not all programs retain the size/state of their windows between sessions.  This is an application specific feature.  Second, I don't know if this is the case with Office and if so, I couldn't tell you where to look since I don't use it myself, but some applications also have settings to determine whether they retain the size/state of windows between sessions.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 12:10 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Windows Size Memory Not Being Retained

Hi All,

An acquaintance running Windows 7 pro 64 bit, Jaws 16, & Office 2016 is having a problem with her computer not remembering Window size settings during a current session.  i.e, if she maximizes document in Word, or maximizes other windows using the, Windows key + up arrow, or the, Alt, Enter, + X, keystrokes she says that she has to maximize these same windows everytime she opens them.  Personally I use a 3rd party program, so I never have this problem, & don't have a clue as to what the answer is to make her system remember current session window settings.  If anyone has an answer for this, would you please share?  All help & input will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

David Ferrin
Life is what happens after you have already made other plans.

David Ferrin
Life is what happens after you have already made other plans.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.