Re: Major computer issue after updating Jaws

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
Indeed, this was the very same issue with my HP a while ago. I couldn't recover, it would barely boot, no restore point, nothing. As a matter of fact, that device had no JAWS, and I lost sound completely after rebooting it. So, did what you have. Created a USB of windows 10, and installed it that way.

Sent from a BrailleNote

----- Original Message -----
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date sent: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 18:20:00 -0800
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Major computer issue after updating Jaws

A final follow up to this issue.

I reached out to Microsoft Accessibility. After going over everything, they suggested that it was most likely a Windows update that for whatever reason went bad. We tried going into the update section of settings and it kept on closing on me with all sorts of error messages.

The FS tech who I spoke to (Dennis I believe was his name) also mentioned this as a possibility.

In any event, with my still working Windows 7 laptop, I downloaded a Windows 10 ISO, burned it to a DVD and popped it into the tower with my sighted wife following the prompts to repair keeping my files and programs in tact.

This did the trick. It ran, rebooted a few times and is now up and functioning as it should with all sounds and services running.

Thought I'd share should anyone ever come across a similar problem. Needless to say, I'm going to keep a Win 10 recovery disk handy from now on.

Been using Jaws since V 3.7U and this is the first time I encountered an issue such as disruptive as this during an update.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 7:06 AM

No one has discussed the boot options that you can use before the computer boots up. The original question mentioned that there are such options. There used to be an option that was called last good configuration. I know it was available in Windows 7. I don't know if it is available in later versions. It may not apply to this problem but those with the problem may want to try it.

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-7/how-
to-restart-a-windows-7-computer-with-the-last-known-good-configur
ation/

I would suggest doing a Google search on last good configuration and see what information comes up before continuing. Also, calling FS Technical Support before proceeding might or might not provide suggestions. FS can't remote into your machine since it can't boot. But they may be able to tell you how to undo this problem.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 8:55 AM

I too ran into this on my dell w8.1 with the newest Jaws update. all was fine prior but only get a �쐀utton�� message now. no sounds but for my triple talk.

I am using my laptop to write this and sure glad I have it now.

anyone have any clues?

I think the newest update needs pulled quick before this happen to very many more we may not know of because their computer is now unavailable to them.

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:48 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] Major computer issue after updating Jaws

Hello list,

So I downloaded and updated the new jaws 18 release that was made available today.

I first ran the update on my personal Win 7 Pro Dell laptop and everything went as usual. Did the reboot and all was good. I�셫 writing this email on that machine.

I waited for the business day to be over before doing the same on my Dell Win 10 pro business desktop. Again, ran the downloaded installer, went through the process and clicked on the ok button when I was prompted to reboot.

However, on the desktop, I am not able to get to the actual desktop. Indeed, there is absolutely no sound coming from my machine. The only way I know what�셲 going on is with my sighted wife�셲 help. I get to the screen with three buttons for connect to the Internet, ease of access and the power down button. The connect to the Internet button is crossed out as if it hasn�셳 completed loading. The ease of access button is active, but even if I try to start narrator, there is still no sound. My wife says that it looks like Narrator turns on, but with no sound, there�셲 nothing I can do. That and since the desktop doesn�셳 come up, I still can�셳 get anywhere. The only thing we�셱e able to do is access the power button to either restart or shut down the computer.

We�셶e tried restarting and pressing the f12 button when that prompt comes up briefly, but then I get a screen with options of a legacy boot and other diagnostics options that I�셫 not familiar with.

As far as the sound goes, I�셶e made sure and checked with both my USB powered headphones and regular desktop speakers. There aren�셳 even any system sounds.

Don�셳 know if even calling FS would be of any help since again, there�셲 no audible feedback what so ever. Can�셳 even try a system restore since I can�셳 get to the desktop where everything�셲 fully loaded. NVDA doesn�셳 come up either.

Any ideas?

I�셫 really at a loss.

Cristobal

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.