Re: unzipping folders or files o n Windows 7

Pamela Dominguez

Maybe I missed the original question.  But I responded to the question I saw.  Sorry!  Pam.

From: Gene
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] unzipping folders or files o n Windows 7

Wasn't the original question how to move files out of an archive without extracting the archive?  Adding the extract all option if it isn't there won't deal with the question.  Associations have to be changed, if they cause another extraction program to run when you press enter on the zip archive.  If you want to extract individual files from a zip archive, you can press enter on the zip archive and, if the Windows zip utility runs, you can move to a file in the list and then copy it to the clipboard.
Then you have to leave the archive opened, open the folder where you want to place the file in, and paste.
I am guessing that the instructions in the below message only add the items in the context menu.  I am guessing that they may well not change file associations that determine which program opens when you press enter on a zip file. I may be wrong so you can experiment if you like.

Someone may be able to tell you how to change the file associations so that the Windows zip utility opens when you press enter on a zip file if a different program opens now.  But I don't see that it makes that much difference if you use the Wwindows zip utility to unzip one file or use a different utility to unzip them all, then paste the file you want where you want it.  It may make a time difference that might be enough to matter if you are extracting really large files.  In a lot of cases, I don't think the time difference matters enough to go through the trouble.  You may spend more time tinkering and trying to solve the problem than you would unzipping four or five or many more archives using what you use now.

From: Pamela Dominguez  <geodom@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Monday, March 13, 2017 13:57