Re: unzipping folders or files o n Windows 7

Pamela Dominguez

Maybe I missed the original question.  But I responded to the question I saw.  Sorry!  Pam.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] unzipping folders or files o n Windows 7

Wasn't the original question how to move files out of an archive without extracting the archive?  Adding the extract all option if it isn't there won't deal with the question.  Associations have to be changed, if they cause another extraction program to run when you press enter on the zip archive.  If you want to extract individual files from a zip archive, you can press enter on the zip archive and, if the Windows zip utility runs, you can move to a file in the list and then copy it to the clipboard.
Then you have to leave the archive opened, open the folder where you want to place the file in, and paste. 
I am guessing that the instructions in the below message only add the items in the context menu.  I am guessing that they may well not change file associations that determine which program opens when you press enter on a zip file. I may be wrong so you can experiment if you like.

Someone may be able to tell you how to change the file associations so that the Windows zip utility opens when you press enter on a zip file if a different program opens now.  But I don't see that it makes that much difference if you use the Wwindows zip utility to unzip one file or use a different utility to unzip them all, then paste the file you want where you want it.  It may make a time difference that might be enough to matter if you are extracting really large files.  In a lot of cases, I don't think the time difference matters enough to go through the trouble.  You may spend more time tinkering and trying to solve the problem than you would unzipping four or five or many more archives using what you use now.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 2:50 PM

Hi Joe,

If you're missing the, Extract All, option from your context menu it can be re-installed.  Go to the link below to get the necessary files, & follow the steps in the message , or from the website.  I used the below info to re-install my Extract All option, & have had no problems since.

Extract All, Context Menu How To Add or Remove in Windows
How to Add or Remove 'Extract All' Context Menu for ZIP Files in Windows
Published by Brink

How to Add or Remove 'Extract All' Context Menu for ZIP Files in Windows

Information:
When you right click or press and hold on a .zip file, the Extract All context menu will extract all contents in the .zip file into a new folder and opens
the new folder.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the 'Extract All' context menu for .zip files for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in to Windows as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

EXAMPLE: "Extract All" context menu

Name:  ZIP_Extract_All_context_menu.jpgSize:  35.0 KB

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Extract All" to Context Menu of .zip Files
NOTE:This is the default setting.
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Extract_All_context_menu.reg

download
3. To Remove "Extract All" from Context Menu of .zip Files
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Extract_All_context_menu.reg

download
4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes
(UAC),
Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
Shawn
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.
Early to bed, early to rise, keep my iHemorrhoids from being a surprise.
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 12:28 PM

It depends on what other unarchive programs are on your machine and what you have them set to do.  You can press enter on a zip file and see what happens.  If another unarchiving program comes up, then I'm not sure how you would change what occurs.  Uninstalling the other program may reverse the situation but I don't know.  Such behavior is controlled by the registry and more actions may be required.  it's probably easier to use whatever utility you generally use, unzip the entire archive, then move the unzipped files where you want.

Gene
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:45 PM

Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility.

How do I find it or will it pop up when I try opening a zipped file?

Joe G.

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Monday, March 13, 2017 13:57

>
>
> Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there.  You hit the context
> menu key, and arrow down to extract all.  It won't unzip rar files, though,
> but it will do regular zip files.  7zip will do rar files.  Pam.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joe Giovanelli
> Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 11:46 AM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: [TechTalk] unzipping folders or files o n Windows 7
>
> Hello,
>
> I run Windows 7. The only program I know to use is Winrar. I can play
> individual files but cannot move them.
>
> I'd like to find a way around this. Thanks.
>
> Joe Giovanelli
>
>
>
>
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
> http://www.avg.com
>
>
>
>

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.