From: Gene <gsasner@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, March 24, 2017 16:35
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] configuring nvda for internet explorer

I don't know if the user's guide explains the concepts enough for you to understand them. I haven't read that section of the guide to any extent. I also don't know what you would want to hear. You might want to hear things I don't.

Do you know much about web page navigation? I can tell you things I would turn off. I consider block quotes to be useless unless you are doing something such as writing a paper and it might be useful to know. For ordinary listening, it would be as absurd as having a sighted reader read such things as block quote aloud every time they appeared. It's a way of quoting material in terms of format. I usually don't want to hear headings announced but you might. Do you know how to move by headings on a page, whether they are announced or not? Of course, links should be announced. There may be instances such as when readingt a Wikipedia article with a lot of links in the text where you might want to turn this announcement off. I just about never do. I have gotten used to hearing the word link before a link and I just leave it on. I learned to use the Internet efficiently long before Aria landmarks were available and I never use then and I have their announcement off. Those who use Aria landmarks may want to comment on how they use them if that would help you decide.

Since I don't know what you know about Internet page navigation, at this point it isn't clear to me whether you just need help with settings or whether you should use some sort of instructional material to learn to navigate the Internet well and that would probably tell you what all these items are and how they are used in navigation. Embedded objects probably wouldn't be explained unless the instructional material dealt specifically with NVDA on the Internet. But you could read about embedded objects in the users guide. I know they are covered there.

From: Gene <gsasner@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, March 24, 2017 13:31

Do you know how to find things in the help system? The users guide explains all the configuration items. While you may want to change a setting or two outside of the document formatting menu, that's were the settings almost all are that you might want to change, if you do want to change settings.

The settings you would want to change deal with what is announced such as tables, block quotes, headings and other features as you move through a web page. If you look at the settings in document formatting, you will see a lot of things you can have or not have announced.