Re: Setting Computer to Run At Certain Times

David Ferrin <df7782@...>

When I was laid up a while some months ago the same sort of thing happened with one of my systems that I did not get around to turning on for a few weeks. So I am just confirming the fact that this is not only something that Mike runs in to at all.

Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2017 1:59 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting Computer to Run At Certain Times

Hi Carlos,

The only common factor I can think of is the amount of time the computer is shut down.  That's the only thing I can go from, since I only have these issues after an extended period of time of the computer not running.  Of course, it can be other things, but when we go to that house on a regular basis like we used to, none of this crap would happen.  Now, with the extended periods of time we've been away this happens, & it's not a big deal.  I just don't like spending extra time on that computer to straighten it out when we have more important things to tend to.  I know I'm sounding like some kind of whiney snot nosed A'hole, but I did check out that website, & downloaded the batch files.  I may not be worth a crap at making batch or script files, but I can edit the crap out of almost anything once I get my head wrapped around it.  LOL  Thank you mooy moocho.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.
Early to bed, early to rise, keep my iHemorrhoids from being a surprise.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 9:59 PM

Hi Mike,
It can be done, but I don't know if it is the best solution.  You might want to work on trying to figure out the underlying cause of the problem.  In either case, see the following article.
Since this technique uses Task Scheduler, you can have it run as often or seldom as you like.
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2017 12:27 AM

This has happened 3 or 4 times over the last year or so, but when we are on a regular schedule of going to that house every other week it doesn't happen.  It seems like these issues only occur when we don't get there for more than 2 weeks.  I do agree that if a weekly schedule could be established through the task manager, or otherwise that would be preferred since it only need to run but a few hours a week.  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 8:04 PM

How many times have you had the problems after prolonged disuse?  If it has happened more than once, then it might be from disuse.  If only once, that's not enough to draw a conclusion.  If it is from disuse, I would think that having it run once a week or perhaps less would be better than having it run daily and just sitting while it runs most of the time, doing nothing but running. 

Gene
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 9:04 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Setting Computer to Run At Certain Times

Hi All,

Running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit & jaws.  I'll try to explain as best as I can.  I have another computer at a another location that will be turned off for 3 to 4 weeks at at time, & when we finally get there, & the computer is started it'll do some weird crap solely because of being shut down for extended periods of time.  Is there something I can do to have this computer set to runX amount of hours a day, so it'll stay updated, & basically get some run time?  I've never used sleep mode, so can sleep mode be scheduled to, let's say, let the computer run from noon to 8:00 pm daily?  All advice & suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

David Ferrin
Life is what happens after you have already made other plans.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.