Re: question on reading e-mails

Gene

According to what I read in looking further, what I said at the outset is correct.  You can set Outlook as your default mail program and press enter on an EML message.  That opens the message in Outlook.  I'll do further checking to make sure that the information I've seen is correct.  If it isn't, I'll send another message.

From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] question on reading e-mails

I just checked.  Outlook used to support EML but that changed at some point.  I haven't done enough checking to see how to work around the problem or perhaps convert the files to the format Outlook works with.

But the discussion raises another question.  Outlook Express isn't supposed to be used beyond XP.  There is a version that has been altered so that it can be.  Some people use it without problems and some people have problems.  But is there any particular reason why you want to use Outlook?  Is it coming with the computer?  You can use Windows Live Mail or Thunderbirrd and they are both free.  I know that Windows Live Mail uses EML.  I don't know about Thunderbird but I would expect it to.  It's a widely used format.

If you want to read eml files in Outlook, I may have more information about that in a later message.