Re: question on reading e-mails

Gene

According to what I read in looking further, what I said at the outset is correct.  You can set Outlook as your default mail program and press enter on an EML message.  That opens the message in Outlook.  I'll do further checking to make sure that the information I've seen is correct.  If it isn't, I'll send another message.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] question on reading e-mails

I just checked.  Outlook used to support EML but that changed at some point.  I haven't done enough checking to see how to work around the problem or perhaps convert the files to the format Outlook works with. 

But the discussion raises another question.  Outlook Express isn't supposed to be used beyond XP.  There is a version that has been altered so that it can be.  Some people use it without problems and some people have problems.  But is there any particular reason why you want to use Outlook?  Is it coming with the computer?  You can use Windows Live Mail or Thunderbirrd and they are both free.  I know that Windows Live Mail uses EML.  I don't know about Thunderbird but I would expect it to.  It's a widely used format. 

If you want to read eml files in Outlook, I may have more information about that in a later message.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:28 PM

EML is a widely used e-mail format.  I would be very surprised if Outlook doesn't use it or work with it.  If it is your default e-mail program, pressing enter on any saved message in that format should cause it to open in the program. 

Just so you know, you have a lot of other choices than Outlook Express.  Windows Live Mail uses the format, and I would think e-mail programs do in general.

Gene
----- Original Message -------
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:16 PM

I am currently using Outlook Express on my desktop computer. I have saved, over the years, many e-mails in folders on the computer in the .eml format.

I want to use Outlook 2010 on my laptop, so I wanted to be sure that I could open those files using that program on my laptop. It seems as though I cannot.

My other option is to install Outlook Express on my laptop. I thought Outlook might be a more stable program, although I don't have too many issues that I can't deal with using Outlook Express, more just irritating ones. I was hoping to avoid those.

Vicki

Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:28 PM

Hi Vicky,

The fact that you are not using OE complicates things somewhat, especially relating to the ‘manual’ conversion. To manually convert you would need to have OE installed and also install Windows Live Mail. While OE is a Microsoft product, it is in no way compatible with MS Outlook and Outlook will not import OE emails directly. The manual process requires importing OE mail into Live Mail and then exporting to a PST file. There are, as Gene mentioned, 3rd party software vendors that provide DBX to PST converters which is the most effective means of converting.

As a matter of interest, how did you extract the files/emails you say you have in a folder, which were originally in Outlook Express?

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki
Sent: 30 March 2017 21:49
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

My e-mails are stored in a folder.

I will be using Outlook 2010.

I currently do not have Outlook Express installed on the machine.

I am mainly interested in just being able to open and read, as well as access links in my saved Outlook Express e-mails that are saved in folders on my computer, not in Outlook Express.

Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:44 AM

Hi Vicky,

Are you currently using Outlook Express, or do you just have emails stored in a folder? I can give you step-by-step instructions on how to migrate the old OE emails and import them into Outlook, but first I need to know the following:

1.       Are you intending to import emails currently listed and being used in Outlook Express?

2.       Which version of Microsoft Outlook are you intending to use, 2010, 2013 or 2016?

3.       Will Microsoft Outlook be installed on the same machine as Outlook Express or a different machine?

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: 30 March 2017 14:29
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Vicki,

It means that you will first export the messages using the Outlook Express export for messages features and then you will use the Outlook Import feature by highlighting the folder/file where the messages have been exported and then, the messages will be imported into Outlook in the proper format.

On 3/30/2017 2:13 AM, Vicki wrote:

I'm not sure what that means, import, yes, but does that means those messages will be imported into the program or will they be converted to the correct format as I open them and still remain on my computer in a folder as a saved message?

Thanks.

Vicki

Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:34 PM

Hi Vicki,

You can use the import feature in Outlook to import those messages into the proper format.

On 3/29/2017 5:38 PM, Vicki wrote:

I have a question about reading e-mails from one e-mail program with another e-mail program.

I have hundreds of e-mails saved from Outlook Express, many with links, and I am now thinking of switching to Outlook.

My question is this. Since Outlook Express saved e-mails have a .eml extension, and Outlook e-mails have another extension, will I be able to open, read and access the links, etc., in my saved Outlook Express e-mails with the Outlook program?

Thanks.

Vicki

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.