Re: question on reading e-mails

Carlos

No.  DBX is a file format specific to Outlook Express.  They are not folders.

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] question on reading e-mails

DBX is how the files are stored, not their format.  DBX is a data-base extension.  I assume the files are stored as eml files in the DBX folders.  I don't recall, though I've extracted and seen some a long time ago.

----- Original Message -----From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:26 PM

Hi John,

I thought that the e-mail files for Outlook Express were DBX files and that Outlook could import them.  I am almost certain that earlier versions of Outlook could do so: Outlook 2000 and perhaps 97.  Is this not true?

On 3/30/2017 5:28 PM, John Gregory wrote:

Hi Vicky,

The fact that you are not using OE complicates things somewhat, especially relating to the ‘manual’ conversion. To manually convert you would need to have OE installed and also install Windows Live Mail. While OE is a Microsoft product, it is in no way compatible with MS Outlook and Outlook will not import OE emails directly. The manual process requires importing OE mail into Live Mail and then exporting to a PST file. There are, as Gene mentioned, 3rd party software vendors that provide DBX to PST converters which is the most effective means of converting.

As a matter of interest, how did you extract the files/emails you say you have in a folder, which were originally in Outlook Express?

John.