Re: Location Inquiry For Atomic Watches: Was: [TechTalk] talking wrist watches

Joe Giovanelli

Hi, ron,

There are many factors which determine how well your watch or any watch for that matter, will update.

Most watches try to update at 3 AM when the signal from the time standard is strongest. This signal does not have the same strength from day to day. Solar energy and other things in the atmosphere determine signal strength at any given time.

The construction of your apartment can make it more difficult for the signal to get into your own apartment. It is good when your windows face west, toward Colorado (where the radio transmissions originate).

My apartment windows face east. Signals will get through but will be greatly attenuated. Even the best watch radios may not receive sufficient signal to get the watch to update. I'm happy if my watch updates once a week.

More could be written about this but I hope this gives you a good picture of what's taking place.

Joe Giovanelli

----- Original Message -----
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:00
Subject: Location Inquiry For Atomic Watches: Was: Re: [TechTalk] talking wrist watches

Hi Group,

For those who like this 4 alarm atomic talking wrist watch and who are having success with it's updating automatically, I would like to know just where you are living. The reason I ask is because I have had a lot of difficulty getting 3 of my devices to update living here in the Buffalo, New York area. Only one device updates consistently. I read somewhere that people along the east coast of the US have such issues.

Thanks for any response.

On 4/17/2017 8:15 PM, Mike Thomas wrote:

Here's what I found is almost the size of the band. Are you familiar with those spice container bottles which you get at discount stores? They're about 4 inches tall and many have tops that either turn or flip open. I found the band stretches just slightly when placing one of those inside of it. As for the band, I broke one by turning the watch inside out in the band. I couldn't find a band to fit it at the discount stores. It seems to be special, so I don't know if its resizeable or not, but I sort of think your wrist must be larger than one of those spice bottles. The watch I was talking about with the second hand having to stop a second from the number 7, is the atomic watch from blind mice mart. I wouldn't get that one, as it requires sighted help for setup. Blind mice mart also sells that 4 alarm deluxe watch that future aids carries, but the shipping makes it more costly than Future aids. Oh, one other thing about this atomic watch... It gives you talking instructions for how to set the time and date and everything. Pretty nice if you need to manually adjust it because it couldn't see the radio signal. I worried about it not seeing the signal, and did the putting it in the west facing window at night for a while. Then I forgot, and found it set itself even if I was wearing it at night. It will keep time to the second for a week or so anyway. Three pushes on the talk button will tell you if your watch is synced to the radio signal. You can also turn the watch off at anytime you want to stop it by pulling out the time set stem for the conventional watch hands, it saves the battery.
Mike
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2017 7:13 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] talking wrist watches

I have rather narrow wrists for a man. Do you think I would have to get the band adjusted or replaced? No jewelry stores or walmart would adjust the band on my deluxe watch and my cousin had to do it and one of the links broke last week.

Thanks

Keith
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2017 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] talking wrist watches

Hi Terry, I use to use the 4-alarm deluxe watch from The Braille Superstore too. Then they were out of stock on the things for about 6 months. I took the plunge and ordered the atomic talking watch they sell as its the few that have a stainless steel band, although its stretch instead of bracelet style. I love the damn thing. How great it is to never have to set it. It has a male voice with a slight British accent, but is easily understood. I've looked at others, and one you have to stop the second hand within a second of 7 or something like that. This one, you just set either the hands like a conventional watch, or adjust the digital settings. The watch will move the hands to the digital time. Then during the next night everything is set to the U S government standard. Read the instructions on Future Aids.com (Braille Superstore) and see what you think. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The price is $34.95 as I recall, and free shipping.
Mike
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2017 5:29 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] talking wrist watches

Hi,

Looking to purchase another talking watch...the last one I got was from the braille superstore or something like that, worked great, but took me 8 months to find a store to alter the size of the band and now one of the band pins has come out and cannot find a replacement.

Can't beat the low prices of the store, but I guess you get what you pay for (the bands are very delicate).

Looking to purchse a talking watch for under $35.00 with either a braclet style band or a leather wrist band.

any ideas on where I can get something like this?

Thanks

keith

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.