From: Gene <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:04
Subject: Re: Location Inquiry For Atomic Watches: Was: Re: [TechTalk] talking wrist watches

Since it is a shortwave signal, I wouldn't assume that facing towards the source would improve signal strength. Try different directions. Also, if you have good AM reception in your building, using windows is unnecessary and you can tweak the direction mor without using one and its also more convenient not to use a window. In some buildings, where reception isn't impeded by the construction of the building and interference isn't high from appliances or other causes in the building, the window shouldn't make a difference or it shouldn't be important. But you can try different windows if you don't have good results elsewhere.

I don't have the clock and I don't know specifically what the manual says. I wouldn't be surprised if people on the east coast would have just as good results if they tried various directions. I used to have a short wave and I learned a little about propagation. I see no reason why the east coast would receive a weaker signal. In addition, the signal is largely meant to be used by ships at sea and the east coast would be expected to be within the target areas.