Re: Antivirus Program Concerns.

Joe Giovanelli

Hello, List,

I downloaded and ran Avast. After a pause, I heard: "Avast antivirus."

Nothing else happened. I checked the focus. I saw the program name, that it was English. There was a reference to a license agreement. Then it showed where I could install Chrome or a Google toolbar for Internet explorer.

Tabbing or arrowing showed nothing more. If I pressed Esc, I had a chance to quit the setup. Even at that, it was hard to do.

I must have missed something, but what is it?

Joe Giovanelli

----- Original Message -----
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Monday, April 17, 2017 15:50
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Antivirus Program Concerns.

First, even though Microsoft claims it no longer supports Microsoft Security essentials. see if the program is still updating definitions or if manually updating causes it to update. The XP version of Microsoft Security Essentials continued to update its definitions about two years after Microsoft said it wouldn't be supported. I'm not sure if it still does.

GGene

Sent: Monday, April 17, 2017 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Antivirus Program Concerns.

Why not try Avast?
https://www.avast.com/en-us/index
They have a free version and it still supports Vista. Also, keep in mind that while it is good to be cautious, there is such a thing as being too paranoid. There is no reason why downloading from known/secure sites such as BARD and Bookshare should generally be dangerous.
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2017 3:13 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Antivirus Program Concerns.

I'm going to propose my problem again and hopefully someone will have an answer for me.

As many of you know, I am still stuck with Windows Vista Home but have at least upgraded to Firefox and NVDA rather than using IE8 and JAWS11. As support ended for Vista on April 11, I can no longer use MSSE for my virus protection. People have steered me towards sophos home and I have checked on the website and it looks like you have to have Windows7, at least.

Is there nothing out there for me? Am I going to have to take the chance and run my computer unprotected? I've had a couple of issues, when protected, so the thought of not having something that will work is really quite scary. I don't think it would be worth it to call the Microsoft support number because they're just going to tell me to upgrade. I can't, right now.

There are certain things I would like to continue doing, such as downloading from BARD and Bookshare but not even sure I should do that.

It is my understanding that I can use Norton from Comcast, my ISP. I know that it not all that accessible and I know that it is a memory hog and some have told me not to use it at all. Wouldn't it be better than nothing if it will still work on Vista?

I'm grasping at straws fold, and, even though Microsoft gave all sorts of warning about the end of support, it came up entirely too fast for me. Money is the biggest issue here as you know.

Thanks for reading.

Barb

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.