Re: More progress in using SDRSharp, for those interested

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Oh, neat, I'll have to grab one of the live environments and start playing with some of the different programs. Might I inquire as to what applications there you find to be accessible with Orca or Speakup? I've tried the windows port of GNU Radio, but found it to be horrible, so I was curious if it'd play nicer on something like Fedora or Ubuntu. I also have very little knowledge on how to get screenreaders there properly set up and configured if something goes crazy, reason I've stuck more to windows programs for now. either way, I am glad to help in what ever way I can, most especially if it's enough to get someone who might be interested in learning about SDR up and going, like I am.
Take care.

On 4/20/2017 9:19 AM, Iaen Cordell wrote:
Thanks for this, like you I also have had little luck with SDR radios under windows.
Linux is a far better alternative if you can get your head around it.
Cheers and thanks again for your good research.
73 from IC.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:47 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] More progress in using SDRSharp, for those interested

Hey all,
I wrote a while back and asked if anyone on list had ever had any
experiences with finding any of the SDR applications accessible. While
there were a few things that worked okay in HDSDR, out of the keyboard
shortcuts that come as a default, there were still a number of things
that didn't seem to be able to be changed from just the keyboard. After
messing about with SDRSharp, one of the other highly recommended
programs, I ran across an email post where a user of SDRSharp had been
working on a autohotkey script that would add some keyboard shortcuts to it.

While the interface for SDRSharp has more elements that are readable by
NVDA compared to HDSDR, SDRSharp doesn't really have any keyboard
shortcut support by default. As soon as you use the autohotkey script
though, it actually becomes quite usable. While it's worth noting that
these shortcuts don't actually make inaccessible areas of the
application readable from NVDA, by pressing tab or whatever, it does
mean that you can still jump to them and change stuff there.

Currently where I find this most important is in the area that displays
your current frequency. Even though NVDA isn't able to actually read the
numbers there, you can still use the keyboard shortcut to jump to the
area and then move through the number selection area and change them on
the fly. You also have the option to type out the frequency, which is
much quicker than moving up and down in the different positions of the
frequency area.

Where moving to the different positions of the freq area and changing
them with the up and down arrows might be useful though could possibly
be in trying to locate something to listen to up in the higher bands. If
you wanted to locate something to listen to up around the 70 CM band, as
an example, this would be how I'd try and approach it.

First I'd use the key that jumps you to the frequency area, which
currently is set to f. Even though NVDA says unknown, I know that each
time I use the f key it places me on the one hundreds position of the
megahertz part of the frequency. I could then type 460025 to jump up to
460.025, which is a local Dallas Police channel.

One thing that's really neat about SDRSharp by default, as I mentioned
previously, is the number of elements that are accessible and that you
can reach with tab and shift tab. NVDA wont really give you any
indication of the stuff that's greyed out, so settings for squelch if
you're in WFM as an example, but as soon as you change to a modulation
that makes it available, NFM, you can tab around and you'll find the option.

It's also worth noting that there are a fair number of things that NVDA
doesn't read the label for correctly, but I've been working my way
through the accessible parts of the program and noting them down for
anyone else who might want to try it later. Some of them are sorta
obvious too, so the combo box after the squelch checkbox, even though it
reads it as CW shift, it's actually where you adjust the level of
squelch for the band.

Even though it'd be super neat if NVDA was able to read the frequency
area, there are workarounds where you can figure it out. The guy that's
been working on the keystrokes script has also been super helpful in
writing back and forth and has mentioned ways to make it even easier.

Even though I'm super new to SDR and still figuring out a lot of this
stuff, I also know that there are a fair number of people who've posted
with questions as to how to make it more accessible, so I wanted to send
it where it might be helpful. I'd also be greatly interested if anyone
has figured out anything else or has any other questions that I may be
able to help with. Apologies for seriously geeking out and for the silly
long email, but this got me all excited, like a fat kid in a candy
store, so I wanted to share. :)

Basically I payed like 20 dollars for this dongle and even though the
accessibility of most of the SDR programs sucks, I now have something
that I can actually play with and that's kinda fun. lol
Take care and hope everyone's well.