Re: Android Accessibility Good Bad, or In between?

Josh Kennedy

IOS is also based on linux which is based on unix and the bsd operating systems and kernels. so hate to break it to you but if you use IOS and any apple product, you are using a form of linux.

On 4/26/2017 1:38 PM, Marie wrote:
Funny you mentioned liking the IOS better than Linux, because, if I am not mistaken, Android is based on the Linux OS. And having used Android and Talk Back, I tend to agree somewhat with the salesman. It is definitely accessible and greatly improved in the last couple of years but for me, it is complicated.
Marie

-----Original Message----- From: Victor
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:49 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Android Accessibility Good Bad, or In between?

Hi all:

I know nothing about the Android operating system as I use IOS. I
asked the salesman at Best Buy about the accessibility of Android. He
said it was accessible, but complicated.

From what I've read, Android accessibility has come a long way.
However, where accessibility seems to be lacking the most is with
Braille displays. If you enjoy using your Braille display as I do,
you are better off with IOS. At least for now.

I currently have Linux on my laptop because a virus killed my Windows
7. Maybe someday I'll be able to get a Windows 10 computer. Until
then, I plan to use iOS as much as possible as I like it better than
Linux and I don't like all the quirks that Windows 7 has. I.e the way
in which some updates interfere with some applications and screen
readers. Unfortunately, it sounds like that problem still exists with
Windows 10.

JMT,

Victor

On 4/26/17, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
<ukekearuaro@valtdnet.com> wrote:
Grumpy Dave, I will not personally compare smartphone screen readers with
those on Windows. Why so? The Windows screen readers have been there for
ages and, in my mind, the environment in which they operate are not the
same
as those of a smartphone or tablet.

Talkback is the main screen reader on the Android platform; however, it
isn't the only one! ShinePlus is a huge contender; Amazon and Samsung do
have their own screen readers on Android too. Talkback comes preinstalled
on most Android devices, but if it isn't, it's not hard to install directly
from the Playstore.

If you currently have an iPhone and love it, stick and keep running with
it;
if Windows has always ROCKED THE BOAT for you, get a Windows tablet
instead;
at least, the learning curve will not be too steep. If, on the other hand
you enjoy venturing into territories hitherto unexplored, let Android ring
the bells!

If an app DOES NOT produce desired results on an Android device, that, in
my
view, has absolutely nothing to do iwth Talkback! The app may be badly
written by its developer as is the case with some Windows apps. Where a
developer follows Google's guidelines on accessibility and completely
labels
its apps' buttons and such, there's no reason why you can't access the app
using Talkback.

In my mobile universe, Android rules! For this reason, I've begun to
slowly
move all business related tools that I use daily over to the Android
platform. For one thing, I don't have to worry about costly SMA's for
screen reader upgrades, no need to pay a scripter to have a Windows app
scripted for accessibility only to find out that I can only GAIN minimal
accessibility to the scripted app, and, I have better interactions with app
developers in that I can help them understand what needs to be done to make
their apps more accessible to all. Within the next 9 months or less, I am
hoping to CUT my dependency on Windows to about 5% when Android takes over
95% of all that I do on a daily basis.

You asked:

"how accessible are the various features and Apps in an Android system?"

Whilst some Android devices come with baked in apps, you are NEVER
OBLIGATED
to use any of them! You can look around on the Playstore and find apps
that
work better for you, buy them for a small price, or, some of them may even
be free. I have a Samsung phone; I don't use any of the apps that came
preloaded on my phone. I have disabled all of these preloaded apps and, my
phone continues to function as expected with no issues of any kind.

For me, Talkback is not only intuitively responsive, but most certainly
getting better with each new release. What's more, it is actively
developed
and released independently of the operating system. Microsoft Word or
Office can be used on an Android device! There are several notetaking apps
that are accessible, when you are ready for the plunge, several of us in
this space will be extremely glad to share the names of a few. There are
NO
problems with E-mail or web surfing, these can be done in Android and
Talkback is NOT sleepy at the wheels! An Android device connected to your
computer is like another hard drive; so, moving files between the two DOES
NOT require or call for the installation of any additional app.

I am NOT SO CERTAIN I addressed your concerns satisfactorily. However, to
the best of my ability, I shall be willing to answer other questions that
you may have.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado