Re: Android Accessibility Good Bad, or In between?

Josh Kennedy

my RCA tablet lets me turn on location services. but in all honesty, i would not use a tablet of any kind for gps. i tried it. its too bulky and unweeldy to use for a handheld portable gps. if you want a gps device then get the motorola moto g 4 phone off amazon because its smaller and much more portable and better for gps use.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On April 26, 2017 17:49:34 "Laz" <laz@talkingmp3players.com> wrote:

Which requires some sort of data connection whether wifi or data plan.
Tell me, does this Galaxy tablet you have and have been talking about
even have a GPS chip in it? I know smart phones do but I don't think
many tablets have them as they are mainly for use with wifi and most
don't have a SIM card slot for a data plan.

On 4/26/17, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
if you want it to direct you, you have to turn location services on under
settings which will activate the gps chip that is inside of your android
device.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On April 26, 2017 5:32:54 PM "Laz" <laz@talkingmp3players.com> wrote:

Josh, Perhaps you're not understanding what I'm asking. Fine and dandy
that it downloads the maps but maps whether on a tablet or on a piece
of paper, are completely worthless unless one and/or the device have a
way to locate you in the environment, which is where GPS comes in. GPS
has to have some way of contacting and accessing the global
positioning satellites so as to figure out where you are so the
navigation app can further guide you. Without this outside data
there's no way to know where you are and the map is worthless.

So again, is it just a list of directions that you follow as in step
1, go to 7th avenue, step 2. take a left to 3rd street, step 3. walk
10 yards and you'll be in front of the pizza joint which you can do by
paying attention to what you're doing and without the GPS updating
your position, or are you claiming that it somehow magically is
capable of updating your location without any connection and giving
you the next step to follow when it's the correct time?

I've had experience with losing the GPS signal and Google Maps falls
on its face until it can reconnect with the satellites, so I'm really
interested in knowing if there's some magical way for it to locate
where you are and keep directing you without the need for any
connection at all.

Laz

On 4/26/17, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
ok the scoop on nearby explorer for android.

1. it uses offline maps. the maps get downloaded into your device's main
storeage area and the download will take 2 or 3 hours to complete.

2. after the maps are downloaded and installed. you can start using
nearby explorer.

3. you can use nearby explorer with wifi and data turned all the way
off.

4. you do not need any data or any wifi at all whatsoever to use nearby
explorer after of course you have downloaded the maps.

5. the map download is a one time thing. you download the maps one time
and then you just forget about them.

6. nearby explorer has a settings menu for different modes such as
driving and many many other things.

7. again, you do not need wifi for nearby explorer. you do not need data
for nearby explorer.

8. there is a version of the app, that is free, called nearby explorer
online. nearby explorer online free version does require data, or wifi.
because nearby explorer online free version does not let you download
any maps into your onboard storeage. therefore you need data at all
times for the nearby explorer online free version.

both apps are found in the play store.

On 4/26/2017 4:25 PM, Laz wrote:
Interesting. So how does it keep track of where you are while driving
in a car? Or does it just provide you with driving instructions as in
a list? I think what you're saying is that you can use an app that
will provide you with directions but the tablet can't use GPS without
some sort of external connection to either a data plan or wifi.

Laz

On 4/26/17, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
I do not need a data plan to use gps on my phone and tablet. the
reason
is because nearby explorer has all its maps and points of interest
offline stored locally onboard the device, no data plan needed!

On 4/26/2017 4:07 PM, Laz wrote:
Sorry to rain on the ardent support for Android but both Olusegoon
and
Josh claimed that using GPS on the tablet would not be an issue...
That would be true if the tablet could use a data plan which most
Android tablets don't. You could use GPS if you were in range of a
wifi signal but in a car that would also be doubtful. If the tablet
was tethered to a smart phone then it would be possible to do it on
the road, but then why use the tablet since the smart phone could do
the same?

I use Android, iOS, and the Fire OS so you know.

Laz

Again, you are speaking so broadly that there is no way to know much
about
how you use your device. I infer that you don't do much word
processing.
I'm not sure what to say about your comments about apps. I'll let
others
comment if they have experience or comments about app accessibility
or
their
results trying to get developers to make apps accessible.