From: Jeremy
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:09 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] New RCA Galileo, my thoughts

Hey all,
First let me just say that I do not intend what so ever to start any
arguments as to what platforms might be better, but my experiences so
far with this new tablet haven't been good at all. It was my hopes that
perhaps updating tb might fix some of the issues I'm seeing so far, but
it hasn't done much for being able to navigate around this thing.

Beyond that, I'm hoping that perhaps something is faulty in the
hardware, but either way, here is what I'm having issues with, so
perhaps someone with more experience can help.

As soon as I got the tablet this morning, I followed the instructions
here for starting tb. I'm familiar with using this two-finger gesture,
as I'd used it before on other devices, but I unfortunately wasn't able
to get it to work right away. I ended up locking and unlocking the
screen, as was mentioned here previously, using one finger to flick up
and then using the two-finger gesture again. After a little bit tb came
up talking and took me to the tutorial thing as I'd expected.

It was here that I started having a lot of problems. First, the double
tap gesture seems to be very difficult to register. From what I can tell
so far, the other gestures such as flicking aren't as bad, but no matter
how slow or fast I try to double tap, it always seems to register it as
me just touching the item once. I noticed that it's a little more
reliable if I keep one finger on the item I want to activate and then
use another finger to double tap, but this isn't always consistent either.

Another real gripe was actually making it through the setup process. One
area specifically that I got stuck in was the one where you can select
your wireless AP you wish to connect to. I'm not quite certain if it was
the flick gesture screwing up, an issue with that part of the interface,
or whatever, but I ended up in an area where the name of an AP here
close to me was being repeated over and over and over. As soon as I'd
use the arrow keys on the keyboard or a flick right gesture to try to
jump to the name of my AP, I would get the sound from tb that something
else had been refocused and it would jump back to somewhere else on the
screen. Once I'd made it to the name of my AP, I tried to quickly use
the double tap to activate it, but once again, it failed. I ended up
having to use a mixture of the arrow keys, enter key, touching the
screen to find stuff that I couldn't focus on with the keyboard and the
flick gestures to make it through.

Once I'd made it through setting up the tablet, I was able to go into
the apps icon on the bottom and locate the play store icon. Through
using explore by touch, flicking and the keyboard, I was able to locate
the search button and do a search for talkback. I'd also been somewhat
familiar with this process from older devices, so I already knew what to
expect as to installing/updating it. Once I'd updated it, I noticed that
the navigation sounds had changed, but I'm still having major issues
with actually moving around through the UI. This is where I'm hoping
that maybe something is jacked up with the screen, as to why it's hard
to register a double tap, but if not, I'm not quite sure I'd call this
usable at all. I'll also note that in the little I've been able to play
with higher end devices, such as the s7, I didn't seem to have issues
with gestures like this.

For anyone else who might be thinking of purchasing this, please keep in
mind that it doesn't seem to have dedicated hardware buttons for back
and home. For those familiar with some of the phones that actually have
a home button you can feel, this makes it quite easy to re orientate
yourself back to the home screen if you're stuck or whatever. While the
tablet does have buttons going along the very bottom of the screen,
back, overview, home, volume down and volume up, it appears to be
necessary to use the double tap gesture to activate these, so that means
it's stupidly hard to get them to work.

I then decided to locate the settings app and see if there were any
preferences I might could change to help, which leads me to my final
problem. I checked through everything I could find, accessibility,
checked the TTS, looked at the TTS's speech rate, whent back a bit and
turned down the brightness on the screen, pressed back on the keyboard
to go back into the main settings again and poof, I completely lost
speech. It didn't appear that tb had crashed, as I still had the
navigation sounds that tb used when I used flick or the keyboard to
move, but the speech from the default google TTS that comes loaded was
completely gone. I tried to lock and unlock the screen which didn't
work, so I ended up holding down the power button for like 30 seconds
and everything was shut down. Luckily for me, when the device came back
up, I had speech again. I've thought about purchasing another TTS, as
one reason I tried it was for being able to use eloquence, but I'm
honestly a little worried with what I see so far from what I assume is
crappy hardware.

I'd really hoped that the 80 bucks I put into purchasing this little
beasty would be enough to give me an idea if a higher end device such as
a phone would be something I'd like changing to, but so far as I can
tell, I'm not pleased at all.
It was here that I was hoping that perhaps it's just me, something
screwy with the hardware that could be fixed, or that perhaps someone
else had ideas on stuff I could try.
Hope everyone is well.
Take care.