Re: Android Accessibility Good Bad, or In between?

Laz

Thanks Aman for explaining how what Josh was saying is possible. I
wasn't aware of that.

Laz

On 4/26/17, Aman Singer <aman.singer@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Laz,

To electronically locate yourself on earth, you do not need a connection to
anyone else. All you need is, first, a map and, secondly, to receive the
GPS signal sent out by the satellites and know how to process it. To receive
a GPS signal, all you require is a GPS receiver. It's a radio receiver just
like any other. For confirmation see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
Most android tablets and a good many Windows tablets have GPS receivers
built in. If they don't, you can get a small Bluetooth device which acts as
a GPS receiver. In neither case, though, do you need a connection to the
internet to know where you are in real-time. There are, of course, programs
which use a combination of the GPS chip and an internet connection to locate
you. Having an internet connection allows you to download maps as you need
them, to obtain updated information on a business (the most obvious example
in the blindness specific apps is blindsquare, which uses 4square's data
which it fetches from the internet), to send your location to others, etc.
However, these services are auxiliary to GPS, they are not GPS itself. There
are tons of GPS devices which are simply unable to transmit anything and can
connect to nothing. See, for example, some of the products made by Garmin
for cars and boats. They don't talk to anything except, perhaps, the car's
speakers, but they receive the GPS signal and can tell the user where he is
and how to get to his destination.
I should say that some companies have decided, in their phones and tablets,
to use cheap GPS receivers and use what is called assisted GPS to get a
better location. This uses a rough GPS signal to get started and narrows the
location down by seeing what wireless networks are in the area, what
cellular site the device is connecting to, and so on. As a manufacturer,
this allows you to save a little on your GPS receiver and the customer won't
notice.
As for Google maps, keep in mind that it relies on Google's servers for the
maps in most cases. Therefore, it obviously dies if you have no connection
to the internet, it can't talk to Google. Products like Nearby Explorer,
however, get their maps in one big gulp. They then use the GPS signal to
know where you are on the map and to direct you to wherever you're going or
to show you what's around you.
I hope that's of some use.
Aman