Re: New RCA Galileo, my thoughts

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

I didn't really pay attention to whether this was the 2016 or 2017 version of the tablet, but I'm going to assume it's the later one. I'm thinking that there shouldn't be any real differences between the two, yours and mine, but there very well might be. As Carlos also mentioned later in the thread, it might also be just that something is messed up with it being cheaper hardware and I drew the wrong straw. lol

I don't recall if it was ever mentioned, but is this audex free? An ability to have a sound specific to when you perform a double tap could certainly be helpful in trying to figure out if it was actually working.
Thanks.
Take care.

On 4/27/2017 6:57 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

unless the touch screen is made a bit different than mine? I don't know. But I can tell you that I can double tap just fine on my RCA tablet. Using audex helps because I get a sound and stuff when I double tap and do gestures and stuff. the audex accessibility redefined app, that is what i use.

On 4/26/2017 11:24 PM, Jeremy wrote:
So, I had an opportunity to test a double tap without tb running and go figure, it worked perfectly, every single time. I made sure to test different speeds of tapping, different amounts of force and the double tap was flawless. I then had my wife remove the updates to tb that had been added when I updated it and then we went back through the tutorial again. Even inside the tutorial, in the part where it has you demonstrate a double tap, it wasn't working as consistently as it had before we started it back up, but we were able to complete the tutorial. Once we'd gotten back on the home screen, we noticed some major inconsistencies again with getting them to register. She was able to get it working pretty well using one finger and then not at all with another one. I had issues no matter what finger I tried, but I noticed that I could tap it with the fat part right below my knuckle and get it about every 5 or 6 times. I even re-updated tb, thinking that perhaps some part of some mechanism that tb uses to intercept the gestures was wigging out, but it still hasn't changed. We are still able to completely turn it off and have them work correctly, so at this point, I'm completely boggled.

The last thing I thought of, which I've yet to try is doing a complete factory reset of the device. This seems really stupid to me, as I just received it this morning, but I honestly don't have any ideas beyond that or any ideas of where else to go with it. As much as I'd really love to get back into android, hopefully figure out if a higher end phone is going to work for me, I'm thinking that perhaps this wasn't the best way to go about it. rofllmao
Take care. :)

On 4/26/2017 6:36 PM, jeremy wrote:
Unfortunately, as much as I'd like it to, I highly doubt that practicing a double tap beyond what I've already tried is going to automagically cause it to start registering them differently. My apologies if I didn't mention it before, but I'm not exactly new to using a touchscreen. I've been using different touchscreen devices every since I purchased the IPhone4, had an S3 with both ICS and then rooted to use jellybean with cm10 for a short time, back to the IPhone5, IPads and now to the IPhone6 plus which I've had since it's release.

My issue really wasn't from a lack of knowledge of the gestures used for android, as they are for the most part equivalent to those used in IOS, it was more so my confusion why most gestures were working decent enough to use and that one was not. Now that I've played with it even more, had an opportunity to tap it lightly, hard, tap it slow and fast and yet see no difference, I really don't have any clues.

This isn't the first time I've herd of this type of thing on an android device, but it's the first time I've actually seen it with one I've played with. As you say, if you have detached the keyboard and you're finding that the double tap gesture is registering as it should, then perhaps it's something out of my control to fix or re-configure, such as some weirdness in the display.

I've also tried to visit the preferences area of tb and enable the one tap activation gesture, to see if it'd work as a workaround, but it still doesn't perform a click on an element with raising your finger and tapping once as it should. It does seem to make the double tap work a little better, but it's still not consistent.

As I said before, I think I need to figure out a way to test the difference between it registering a single tap and a double tap and do it without tb running. It'd be my thinking that that'd be the best way to determine if it's something specific to the accessibility framework, so tb or EBT or something outside of it like the hardware.

Lastly, I also noticed an option in the settings for tb that indicated that you could change the sensitivity for it registering taps. I may be slightly off it the exact wording, but either way, I also tried to adjust that to see if it'd change and it didn't.
Take care.

On 4/26/2017 4:48 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

I detached my tablet and was using it for a bit tonight, and had no issues with the double taps and stuff. just practice with it, you'll get the hang of it.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On April 26, 2017 17:45:15 "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

I don't use such devices but I would suggest experimenting with the time between taps.  Changing the interval may affect performance.  You indicated that keeping a finger on the icon improves performance.  This may be, in effect, interfering with how the device gauges the time between taps and may be improving performance for that reason.

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New RCA Galileo, my thoughts

two useful commands are control alt r for recent screens, and control alt n
for notification screen. to review the screen press alt plus up down left
or right arrow keys. to activate an item hit alt enter. to long  press, hit
alt shift enter.