Re: Software Bugs, how much is too much?

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Hehe, very true. :)

On 4/27/2017 7:09 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
Jeremy and everyone, people will spend more money for what they want than for what they need - strange quirk of human nature.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Software Bugs, how much is too much?

Wow, I've only had dealings with you here on list and not yet an opportunity to shop with you, but I very much so wish there were more business owners who felt the same way as you do. I understand needing to make a profit, even if it's a tiny one to keep things going and bread on the table, but there are definitely a high number of people who are only concerned with making more green.

I never really understood this until my wife and I started looking into what it was going to take to set up a firework stand for the Christmas for Kids charity that a friend of ours runs each year. The price at which you could purchase fireworks compared to what most people were reselling them at was absolutely silly. I also found out that each year a number of people come in and can spend anywhere from 1000 to 5000 dollars in one go for a truck full of fireworks too, so perhaps it isn't as bad for them. lol

All the same, hats off to you bro and everyone else like you who stays honest and takes good care of their customers.
Take care.

On 4/27/2017 1:45 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
Grumpy Dave, the story you shared reminded me of a time in my life
when I was working at Teletech as a Technical Support staffer on a GTE
Internet service contract. We could only spend 50 seconds on the
phone with each customer that called in for tech support help. The
GTE ISP service was horrible and overtly buggy. I would read the
notes from other colleagues and these were always incomplete.

It so happened that a naval officer called and was extremely angry
because his issues had not been sufficiently addressed. He
specifically told me that he would not get off the phone until he saw
results. I looked at the notes from other colleagues and, sure enough, the documentations were bad.
This was the fifth call from the same guy and I happened to have been
the one that took it this time.

I assured the gentleman that he and I would work together to address
all the issues he was having. I had to RECONFIGURE his settings,
taking him step by step through what he needed to do. When we were
done, I made him test his connection three times and I documented
everything in my notes. I thanked him for being patient with me and
was about to hang up when he requested to speak to my supervisor.

Placing him on-hold, I paged the supervisor who came to my desk
berating me for taking too long on the call. I told her the caller I
just served wanted to talk to her. She grabbed another headset,
connected it to my work phone, took the naval officer off hold and
made me listen to the entire conversation between them. I recall the
naval officer telling my supervisor that he had served in the navy for
31 years; he stated that I was the fifth person to have taken his
call. He said that I had a good listening ear, treated him like a
good neighbor, addressed all of his issues satisfactorily, and he'd
forever be grateful. He concluded by telling my supervisor that he
didn't know what establishments do for civilians who do a good job,
but that I deserved anything and everything to which I was entitled to. He offered to send a letter of recommendation if needed.

I asked my supervisor afterwards for a five-minute break; I was
struggling to rescue uncontrollable tears; I bolted into the bathroom,
stood there and just let them flow for three minutes before I returned
to my desk. That day, I made a pledge that I would never ever sell
anything of inferior quality to anyone! If, when push comes to shove
I can't use it because it's inferior, no, I won't stock or sell it in my store front.

Teletech was more concerned about the number of calls each person took
as opposed to providing good quality service. A month later, I quit
working for the company because in clear conscience, I could not and
would not provide inferior service to any of the callers whose call came to my desk.
I have no regrets for the decision I made then, I'll do it even now in
a heartbeat should the need arise!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado