Re: Stories from the Tech Desk

Pamela Dominguez

So do I, but I'm not holding my breath! (smile) Fifty seconds is ridiculous! It reminds me of how my counselor wanted me to go into doing customer service and/or telephone sales. I told her she was crazy. I already get migrains, and I'd rather be unemployed than put that level of stress on myself. Pam.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:55 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Stories from the Tech Desk

Hello Olusegun,

Wow! Your story brings back a lot of memories of when I spent time working the Technical Support Desk, and it is a wild pressure filled job. Customers are angry and too many need to vent their anger on you, often several times, before they are able to settle down, to actually listen to the very person who can help them out of their situation.

I can't imagine being given only 50 seconds to answer, listen and solve a customers problem. I've had calls that took 5 minutes just to calm the person down from their rant, before I could even begin helping them. And if there is the need for a Removal and a Re-install of the software, it is easy to Kiss 30 to 40 minutes Good Bye. There are some crazy situations that need to be un-tangled before a solution can be implemented. I had a supervisor tell me I should take no more than 10 minutes with any customer for any problem. And again, this is coming from a Supervisor that knows very little about computers, the sof5tware we were selling, or the length of time it takes to clean up a system, before a reinstall can begin.

And then some customers are not very good with their Computers, and in fact, know next to nothing, other than how to turn it On. Some leave their systems on all the time because they honestly do not know how to turn them off! Not Kidding! And then if they are older, and have difficulty grasping what you are saying, or they cannot hear you because they have a hearing problem, well, you see the problem. Few calls are done in 10 minutes, and I would guess none were actually done in 50 seconds. My word, 50 seconds! What Planet were your Bosses from?

I have always believed that if a Company takes care of its Customers, those Customers will take care of the Company.

Sad to say, no one in Management has this same belief, and instead treat the Customer as if they are the Enemy!

I am still thinking about the 50 second time limit you had for helping someone. Incredible that management actually thought a customer service person could answer and complete a call in less than one minute!

Well, this all gets back to Money Honey. The Company makes deep compromises when crafting the product, and then often under staffs the Support department, so it is easily over whelmed with support calls. And the brilliant answer from management is to not hire the much needed extra support staff, but to force what staff there is, to limit each call to no more than 50 seconds. Incredible!

Sad to say, this is becoming the Norm, and not the exception. The
Customer has become the enemy.

I see some good signs, a few Companies are once again realizing Customer
Service is a Good thing, and a very Important part of keeping customers
happy. I hope this trend towards good service continues.

Grumpy Dave

--
Dave <dlh007@centurylink.net>

---