From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 10:20 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

So because something is free we should be happy for whatever we get?  In that case, how are people to know if the service should be used and what to be aware of when using it?  I can't tell you how much I disagree with the view that we should give up our critical faculty just because something is done for us poor blind people for free.

One reason library service for the blind is as good as it is is because blind advocates agitated for good service.  One reason Microsoft and other companies are aware of accessibility is because advocates made them aware.

If you provide a service, free or not, you have a responsibility not to leave people in worse shape than when they came to you.  The service helps many people.  it also does damage to some or perhaps many peoples' machines.  Are we supposed to be uninformed and not evaluate the service just because it is free?  If someone asks you about the service, are you going to say, it's wonderful and not say that you have seen a number of complaints about it which indicate that it is spotty, depending on who you get to work with you, that it may help but it may not and it may do harm?  Are you advocating not discussing such matters because we should be paralyzed with overwhelming gratitude that something is provided for free?

No one is whining.

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 9:59 AM

In my humble opinion, I appreciate Microsoft providing free tech support for the blind computer user. I encourage all my group members to call them with various issues that are too hard to cover in group emails. Are they perfect? No, but who is? So quit whining about a totally free service provided to all blind computer users please. LOL.