Re: Window Eyes to Be Phased Out

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

talking dosbox lets you run wordperfect and even lotus123. but to run lotus123 you have to edit the dosbox.conf text file and set the following.

the original settings are the following.

xms=false

ems=false

umb=false

this has to do with extended memory that lotus needs to run.

so you set it all to true if you want to run lotus then run dosbox again.

so its

xms=true

ems=true

umb=true

then when you are done with lotus123 wordperfect won't run with those settings on true. so you close dosbox edit the file again set

xms=false

ems=false

umb=false

run dosbox again then you can run wordperfect which does not require the extended dos memory.

On 5/11/2017 6:16 PM, Aman Singer wrote:
Hi Dave,

I'm sorry to contradict, but you write:

And as long as the User is running a 32 bit edition of MS Windows, then
maybe, just maybe, that old Word Perfect copy can be installed and ran.
However, that old Word Perfect program will not be installed into MS Windows
7, 8 or 10, if those versions are 64 bit.

This is not, I'm afraid, quite accurate. I currently use Windows 10
64-bit, and needed, a few weeks ago, to help someone out with WordPerfect
5.1. I was able to run the program without difficulty through a virtual
machine. Josh Kennedy on this list has been good enough to give us an even
easier solution which works on Windows 10 64-bit without the need for an
external synthesizer or any Virtual system.
http://batsupport.com/unsupported/dosbox/
The only thing that you can't do on a 64-bit system is run the wp.com or
wp.exe programs from the Windows command prompt, at least so far as I know.
As for Office 2003, I have seen the statement that Microsoft will
not activate the product, but only in anecdotal form, not as a policy of
Microsoft. You may want to give it a shot and complain if activation doesn't
happen for you. You may also want to complain to the accessibility desk at
Microsoft on the ground that the newer offices' have the ribbon and some
older screen readers will not support that properly. It's just a thought,
honestly, if I didn't need some of the new features in the later versions, I
would have stuck to Office 2003. I agree that it is one of the best
versions, particularly when it comes to Word.
Aman