Re: Very sad news for Window-Eyes Users.

Gene

The message was intended as a follow-up to my previous message to Gerald.  I should have used my answer for the reply so it would have been more clear.

From: Joseph Lee
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2017 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Very sad news for Window-Eyes Users.

Hi,

I think the below one wasn’t addressed to me, but as an NVDA contributor, I can tell you how much we’ve spent in making sure that NVDA is a great screen reader for all. Money does play a part in some development activities (such as grants, donations and what not), but when I say “we spent a lot”, I’m talking about hours I and others spent on this project, some of us without a penny in return, knowing that we’re making a difference for many. I’m not going to ask all of you to donate, as some cannot afford to at the moment, but what I ask of you is think about a different world without a project like this, and think about philosophies of led developers as they made a decision to create this project eleven years ago. Speaking of led developers, if you want to see them online, this weekend is your chance to do so.

As for my work on this project, I am the one (or helped people) who brought you the following:

  • Korean translation.
  • Assisted with upgraded Unified English Braille support in NVDA.
  • Initial foundation to support Windows 10.
  • Ability to turn off start or exit sounds.
  • Testing and providing feedback on touchscreen support.
  • Testing BrailleNote driver and adding support for BrailleNote QT.
  • Ability to disable individual add-ons.
  • Case sensitive search in NVDA’s find dialog.
  • And some other features. The above are very pale compared to contributions from many others.
  • Producer of “Welcome to NVDA 2013/2015” tutorial set.
  • Conceived, planned, and chaired the first NVDACon in 2014, and the chair of the organizers until 2016.
  • Author or chief maintainer of the following NVDA add-ons: Control Usage Assistant, Easy Table Navigator, Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, ObjPad, Resource Monitor, StationPlaylist Studio, and Windows 10 App Essentials.

In addition, there are features under development and/or testing that’ll make a difference in lives of many, and one of them is under active testing as we speak (you’ll see a demo of this this weekend at NVDACon 2017).

Cheers,

Joseph