Re: article: - Opinion: Why We ,Need To Finally ,Accept Windows 10 Is Better Than Windows 7 #article

Gene

I agree that there is little expectation of privacy.  But there is a point where intrusion goes too far.  I don't have an opinion about whether Windows 10 crosses that point but I'm discussing the matter because of all the discussion I've seen regarding Windows 10 and privacy.  I don'tg recall in enough detail what Windows 10 used to collect to comment nor do I know what the new version collects, but evidently, based on comments here, it's much less.

Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 6:43 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] article: - Opinion: Why We ,Need To Finally ,Accept Windows 10 Is Better Than Windows 7

if you are that concerned about privacy you should just get rid of the internet, get rid of all credit cards, may not want to talk to people in general. Even if someone knows your name via word of mouth they could go sell it to someone else. whenever you interact with anyone you give away automatically a certain amount of your privacy. the government knows your address because you are on SSI, cameras may be recording you when you walk down the street, go shopping, and so on. guess what, its 2017, we don't live in the year 1500. So either get used to it or cut ties with all civilization and go live in the woods or desert somewhere and do not under any circumstances interact with any other humans for the rest of your life. I, for one, choose to accept windows10, and google android recording all my voice assistance commands and stuff because I trust that on the other end that info is being used to improve the services I receive. That includes better voice recognition, faster ways to pay for products, and an improved windows and improved android experience. Even if I went to extremes and used a ubuntu linux live dvd for browsing so that when I shut off the computer no data is recorded on the hard drive? well I am still leaving an IP-address trail among other things. Sites have recorded whether or not I visited them, and they know my IP address which means if they wanted they could find out nearly exactly where I live. So not even a live OS image that disappears when I turn off the machine is 100% safe. So again I say giving up a certain amount of privacy either interacting on the internet or in the real world with other humans is just something that occurs. Accept it, or go move to antarctica at the south pole where temps get to minus 128 fahrenheit and enjoy your life of complete privacy. Also be sure to walk there, or to get rides and when you do get rides don't give your name, just tell people to drive you as far south as possible. And when you get to the ocean and need to go even further south you'll probably have to tell people you are a scientist that has to go study ice and snow so they will get you across the ocean to the south pole as quickly as possible so you can then get as far inland and away from other people so you can build your iglue and live in absolute privacy hunting penguins and eating fish the rest of your life. And if anyone comes around to disturb you, quickly dress up in your polar-bear costume and run at them making growling sounds and waving your arms and they'll run away thinking a hungry polar bear is about to eat them. Then you can go back to your nice quiet 100% private life. If you get bored you can always talk to yourself about how nice it was to live in society but then right away remind yourself... hey what's this? I'm a very paranoid person who cares about my privacy! nobody can know who I am or what I am doing, not even my name. Oh its been 40 years. uh, I forget what my name is. Oh well who cares. I have nobody to talk to and give it to anyway. So from now on, I'll call myself ezzerdoo. Sounds like a good caveMan name. Hey, the ice looks extra good today. I think I'll go melt some with my solar heater because I can't make a fire that makes smoke and that could attract other humans which is a big no no! and have a drink of nice fresh antarctic water.

On 5/21/2017 11:51 PM, Gene wrote:
Microsoft gave away Windows 10 because they expected to monitize it more than earlier versions.  Nothing is free.  Things may have greatly improved but, given that Windows 10 was given away for a year, and that this wasn't done for philanthropic reasons, it will take more persuasive arguments to persuade me that, despite things greatly improving, that they have improved as much as they should.  The most easily sold commodity when monitizing an operating system is user information.