hi gene,
the dialogue and it's reason is discussed in the following avast forum thread
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=177373.0

On 10/8/2015 7:29 PM, Gene wrote:
I'll add that I didn't reboot when I had this dialog start to come up but I did stop the explorer process and start it again and I haven't had more dialogs from Avast since and it's been many hours, thus my statement that rebooting may stop the update dialogs.

Gene.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2015 7:34 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] upgrading Avast free antivirus

Hi All,

A window keeps popping up this morning asking me to upgrade my avast free antivirus, apparently to version 2015 although I thought I already did that earlier this year.  What is the easiest way to do this, or if I don't need to do this how do I disable this popup?  It has popped up several times already as I'm checking and replying to e-mail and I keep getting thrown out of what I'm doing if I'm typing a reply when the popup comes up.

Thanks.

Troy