Re: wifi range extenders

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

I bought a Belkin dual band wi-fi range extender last week.  I am very happy with its performance especially on the 5ghz band.

Mine has its 110 volt plug built into the back panel.  At first, I plugged the unit directly into a wall outlet.  I got somewhat better performance but not what I expected.  I then plugged it into an extension cord and put it on my tv credenza with the antennae pointing toward the ceiling.  Moving it away from the wall like that really improved its performance. 

I now have solid 5-bars signals on the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands everywhere in my house and yard.

I don’t know about the d-link device but my Belkin was easy to set up.  I powered it up and opened the connect to a network app in the windows 7 control panel.  I had a new network in the list of available networks called belkin.setup.
I connected to that network, opened a web browser and typed in a URL that was in the setup instructions that came with the device.

A list of available networks appeared.  I chose my router’s 2.4 ghz network, entered its WPA/2 security key and clicked next.
I then chose my router’s 5 ghz connection, entered its security key, clicked a link labeled create extended networks and closed the web page.

When I opened the connect to a network app, there were two new connections available.  They began with the connection names of the ones for my router with the suffix _ext.  Those were the ones for the range extender.  When I connected to either of those new networks, I got great signals everywhere.

Hope this helps,
George

Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 7:10 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] wifi range extenders

First do they really work? I am on Comcast where the modem is located I have a very poor single on the front porch. I came across this D-Link Wi-Fi Range Extender Repeater Wireless AC750 Dual Band WPS – Refurbished for under $20. Wonder if it is worth trying? Also are they difficult to set up and access?

---

Please visit my web page

It’s motivational, inspirational with a touch of humor

There is also a very extensive resource list for the blind

http://www.LennyMcHugh.com

International Brotherhood of Magicians member #43990

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.