Re: malware bytes

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Whether one finds an Ipad easy to use would differ from user to user, I'd imagine. What's more important is whether the IPad will be able to handle the different tasks that the user wants of it. for banking at least, this should suffice, but I'm not certain I'd want to replace my laptop with one. I love IOS for what it is good at and even Android, now that I've been using one, but there are still things that only work well on a desktop/laptop. Everyone will have different requirements of what they want from their devices though.
Take care.

On 6/7/2017 1:07 AM, Matt wrote:

Agreed but usually they are very easy to use as well and very light weight and the Pro models especially the new ones that was introduced are very powerful and has up to 512 GB of storage and I think they take a SD card as well . I know they have a USB 3 port and then a C port to plug into . I was thinking of getting a mac mini one day but I am now leaning toward the iPad pro as it is very much becoming a laptop replacement on the mac side Also it has touch which none of the Mac computers have or support .

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:26 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] malware bytes

Normally I'd not suggest someone purchasing something like an IPAD for this sort of thing, but I also know how frustrating this can be trying to explain why it's a bad idea to visit certain things on a typical desktop. My grandmother is a wonderful example of this, she was apparently the cat's meow back in the days of DOS, but she just don't seem to understand how malicious certain pages, email scams, whatever can be. While it is definitely possible for an IOS device to become compromised, I think in a case like this it is a lot less likely and safer for sure for stuff like banking especially to use one. I know that my grandmother loves her for this reason and it also makes me feel a lot more comfortable too.
Just a thought or two. :)
Take care.

On 6/6/2017 11:35 PM, Matt wrote:

Well no matter what you do you have to  do safe browsing and computing .

I would say if you can get her a IPad as this would be a lot less chance of getting this stuff with this . for typing she could use a keyboard hook to it.  The iPad pro’s is not cheap but I think they are a lot safer to use . It is a whole lot harder to get virus and such with them. Not impossible by no means but a heck a lot harder. I personally would say she might enjoy that even better a IPad Pro and they sure are light weight as well.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:25 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

All it takes is one key logger and the information is known to someone.  Keeping the pass words and other information off the computer doesn't offer meaningful protection.  I assume she has to type the information when she uses the site to log in.  Using two step verification may offer adequate protection.  I don't know enough about the subject to be sure.

but if she is typing the information to log in every visit, Then with her propensity to attract an enormous amount of Malware, she's taking a very large risk of having someone else get access to her account.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 8:07 PM

She does banking on her computer, but she keeps all account numbers and passwords written downon a piece of paper and doesn't keep it on her hard drive.

Troy

Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 7:16 PM

Does she know that since she evidently doesn't look after her computer not being compromised, that she should never do anything where she discloses any personal information including banking but also not anything where she gives such information as her birthday?  If you can't set up effective protection on her machine, then she should know not to do anything personal on it, if she isn't willing to pay someone to set up proper protection. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 6:52 PM

Gene,

She plays the games that facebook offers, and yes I've told her that's where she gets so much malware.

As far as malware bytes, I have the paid version on my computer and I gave her what I use plus the license key, but she said she couldn't find where to put that in the program and I haven't tried it because it's windows 10 and I'm still running windows 7 and have never seen 10 myself.

She admits that she's technologically stupid, her words not mine, and on top of that she has very little patience with things she doesn't understand so there's not much I can do aside from trying to answer the questions I can answer and finding answers to the questions that I don't have answers for.  I would try to install jaws on her computer, and in fact I have done that in the past with previous computers that she's had, but although I'm a little more computer literate than she is I sometimes think I know just enough to get into trouble, which btw I have done on multiple occasions with my own computer.

Troy

Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 3:56 PM

I'm sure there is a way but the real question is what she does to attract so much malware.  With an infestation of that magnitude, it raises the question of whether Windows should be restored to the factory condition if she is using a machine that offers that option.  Who knows what else is on the machine or what back doors may be left even after removal.  Your mother evidently does things or goes to sites where malware abounds.  If she continues to do whatever she does, she should use not the free version of Malware bytes but the paid version with active protection that will stop malware from getting on her machine in the first place.  I read recently that there are now programs that are better than malware Bytes but I don't know enough about the subject to say more.  But your mother needs a good antivirus program and a good antispyware program like Malware Bytes with active protection, not just with the ability to do manual scans.

And as a sighted person with no accessibility problems, a two or three year old version of an antimalware program shouldn't be used. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 11:57 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] malware bytes

Hi All,

My mom just ran malware bytes on her computer and according to her it found over 2000 pieces of malware.  I don't know if she's exaggerating, but I do know there are a bunch and she's having to go down and check each one one at a time.  I'm not sure what version of the program she's using, probably 1.75 because I gave it to her and I don't think she would know how to update the actual software, but what does she need to do to select everything all at once for deletion?  She said that I've told her before how to do it, but she doesn't remember how and I don't remember telling her.

Thanks.

Troy

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.