I honestly don't think the facebook games themselves are particularly unsafe, I do think though that there's potential for accessing malicious links and such from any of the pages on fb. If she were to use something like an Ipad to access her games, I feel like that would be a safe alternative. The difficult thing about accessing fb or the games there from a browser on the computer is, there's potential fr the browser to come across extra stuff in the pages, adds, whatever that might bring about the installation of malware. it's also harder to keep the browser completely clean, keep up with add blockers or whatever, keep virus scanners up and going, than it is to run the facebook app on a tablet, run the apps for the fb games, etc. This especially rings true for the apps used for banking. I feel like the banking app on a tablet is much less likely to become compromised compared to if you're accessing the bank through the browser on windows. If it were me, I'd check around and see if I could get a slightly older model IPad and just as long as she's comfortable using the touch screen there, have her keep her games she likes and her banking on it.
Either way, I wish both you and your mom, I think it was, the best of luck. I know how frustrating stuff like that can be and I'd never wish anyone to have to deal with that kinda crap. the internet can be sorta crappy in that way. :)
Take care.

On 6/7/2017 8:58 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
I realize that malware can be dangerous in various ways, but I either never knew or forgot about key loggers where somebody could grab anything typed.  Will malware bytes get rid of these key loggers?

I'm going to discuss everything that's been discussed in this thread with my mom today and see what she says.  I don't know for a fact that she still plays those games on facebook because her laptop got some ransom ware on it a while back and that almost cost her a bundle, turns out we were able to get the computer to the tech that I've been using for a while and he was able to clean it for a minimal price, but at that time she was wondering how she got that malware and although I had told her before that those games she plays are dangerous she seemed to take it to heart this time.  On the other hand I know that she still plays games, and after the ransom ware incident she had looked in the store for new games to start playing and didn't find anything she liked so she may've gone back to the facebook games despite what happened with the ransom ware incident.

I know that she's concerned about somebody being able to steal her bank account and password info though, and as I said last night I must be pretty clueless myself because I thought that as long as my wifi connection was secured with a password that we were pretty safe.  With all that's come to light in this thread that I didn't know though, if she is still playing the facebook games she may just stop now that I can tell her how dangerous malware truly can be.

Troy

----- Original Message -----
From: Carlos
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 10:51 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] malware bytes

It is also worth noting that the total number of items found during a scan is not necessarily the total number of infections.  A specific malware infection may consist of several files and registry entries.  Often this is the total malware scanners will display.  In other words, 2000 items found does not usually mean 2000 infections.