Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dropped Hard Drive

For what it's worth, I am totally blind, and while I have been using
computers for 21 years, it is strictly as an end user, not as a
programmer or builder.  I read that it may be possible to disconnect a
hard drive and put it in a new enclosure, but I also read that this
should be done strictly by a professional, as they use rooms with
purified air and humidity controls.  At any rate, this is a comment
that I received in the BVI Tech Support on Facebook.  I received
permission by the author to repost it here.

"Martin Lee Ralfe
Firstly Hello! I have worked in the IT industry for over 7 years
(since I was 16) also Microsoft certified.

In terms of practical assistance I can not offer any as I'm in the UK
however what I can tell you is: as I am assuming this a mechanical
hard drive (not a solid state drive or flash based) it does sound like
the drive plata (where your data is stored) has been scratched or
damaged by the read/write head when it had been dropped.

This unfortunately means Windows will not detect the drive has the
hard drive can not present any data the reason you are hearing the
connecting sound and drive activation is because the drive connector /
controller is not damaged and will continue to attempt turning itself
on, the noise you hear every few minutes like a computer turning off
will just be the controller on the drive failing after a time out and
force restarting.

Imagine it like a car turning on with a broken clutch or gear box the
engine will still run but it won't move.

As far as recovering your data goes I do not know how much vision you
have but free programs exist that you can boot your computer to like
hirens boot cd which contains a plethora of file recovery tools though
I must admit this is a very advanced program and even with guides data
recovery is not the easiest of tasks.

If you choose to pay someone to do it you could insist on a contract /
terms though unfortunately the nature of data recovery does mean the
data will have to be looked st and examined to ensure it is intact
which does mean presuming the data can be saved they will have to look
at and copy your files.

Finally the size of the drive does matter on cost as an example it can
cost upwards of £100 (UK) to recover even 200GB of data.

As far as a new external drive goes no hard disk drive is drop proof
but if you are willing to pay large flash drives or external SSDs may
be a better option.

Hope this helps"

Since it goes by the size of the drive, can I have them just scan
specific folders?  When he says that the files must be examined, must
they be opened, played, etc. or can they be automatically scanned for
integrity?

I just tried to use Recuver on the drive, but it didn't recognise it
either.  If I do get a flash drive or an ssd drive, how much would
that cost?  It doesn't need to be the latest and greatest either, as
long as it works.  I stayed away from those because I thought the cost
would be far too high for my budget.

Thanks,
Eleni

--