Re: keyboards VS touch screens and technological change

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

I don't consider myself an advanced user, and even I don't have issues using windows, whether be 8, 7, 10, or for that matter, XP. once you know it, you know it. same goes for apple, and android. the idea of them is the same, in my experience.

On 16/06/17 6:36 PM, Carlos wrote:
This is why I always say that Windows is Windows. At least in terms of operation. A newer version of Windows may have differences in it's interface and Microsoft has a bad habit of making unnecessary changes, but there are usually enough similarities that it only takes me a few days to adapt. It is possible that as an advanced user I may be trivializing the affect such changes have on others, but I think often people become frustrated by the differences and give up too soon. The problem is that eventually you have to move on if you want to keep up with new technology. Someone will always point out the exceptions they know who are still running DOS or Windows 95, but that simply isn't realistic for most users. It may be possible to continue using outdated versions such as XP for now, but what about in 10 or 15 years? When Microsoft has completely given up on XP altogether, security becomes more effort than it's worth to maintain, and it just won't work with modern hardware or peripherals. Some may even consider switching over to a completely different operating system, but learning a new operating system is generally more difficult for most users than adapting to a new version of one you may have been already using for years. That is not to say it can't be done, but if you have the technical fortitude to learn Linux for example, then learning a new version of Windows should be trivial. You may take the time to learn a new operating system only to discover that it has it's own annoying quirks and idiosyncrasies. Of course, there might be other reasons for switching over to a new operating system. I have considered doing so myself after support ends for Windows 7 since I don't like Windows 10 and the direction it's going. The problem with Linux is that it is not an operating system for the technically faint of heart. Accessibility has improved significantly in the last several years and sometimes everything works as expected, but it's when something goes wrong that many users may have difficulties. Even with modern desktop based distributions, quite often changing settings requires manual editing of configuration files. Even getting help and finding answers in the Linux community can be daunting at times.
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Gene <mailto:gsasner@ripco.com>
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Sent:* Friday, June 16, 2017 12:24 PM
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] keyboards VS touch screens and
technological change
Yes, learning the underlying structure is important and learning
shortcut commands is also important for efficiency. But in Windows
7, I don't think whether people learn keystrokes, or underlying
concepts with shortcuts, or both matters in terms of ease of using
Windows 7 if you know XP. In my example of the shut down dialog, to
see almost the identical dialog, all you have to do is move to the
desktop, then use alt f4 to open the shut down dialog. that's how I
work with the shut down dialog in Windows 7. As far as other things
are concerned, another example that might confuse people is what you
see if you open something like the c drive and start tabbing. You
will see lots of fields that aren't present in XP. But you can
ignore them all and simply not tab around. If you do that, the list
view of files and folders is the same as in XP. And the examples
could go on and on. I'll give one more. If you like to use the run
dialog, in Windows 7 you have to be sure you press and hold the
Windows key and type r while doing so. In XP, you could press and
release the Windows key and then type r. this is a trivial
difference but one that could cause lots of frustration if you don't
know it. And a lot of operations are identical to XP. I've just
chosen this example to illustrate how trivial the changes are where
they exist in most cases. I use Windows 7. At times, I prefer
using the start dialog search to open a program or to find where I
would change settings for something. but almost all I do in Windows
7 is either identical or almost identical to XP. Once I realized I
could use Windows 7 in this way, after I got a Windows 7 computer
and started looking around and experimenting, I was able to do
almost everything I did before.