Re: Computer Specifications

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

while they are no longer made, or so I hear, I'm pretty impressed with my samsung's battery life. I can pull this thing to 5 hours, maybe less, maybe more, depending on what I'm doing.
But an average of 5 hours is fair to say.

On 17/06/17 8:36 PM, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
version of Windows. You will experience such problems with any operating
system. I personally don't experience this problem in 7 often unless the
application itself is buggy or unstable which is not the fault of Windows.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eleni Vamvakari" <elvam2167@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Computer Specifications

I'm 33, and I've been using computers for at least 21 years and
regularly for about 14, on several operating systems, my favourite
being MSDOS and Windows XP. By the time ribbons were invented, it was
well after my initial learning stage with a teacher. One of my mottos
in life is if it's not broken, don't fix it. Don't complicate simple
things is a new one that just came to mind. I never saw a need for
them and they only made things more confusing. So I avoid using them.

I can find almost anything on Ebay, including technology. I like
older dot matrix printers anyway. As for scanners, I have a flatbed
that works well, though I actually don't mind if those are modern.

Even though I have service Pack 4 installed, I agree with you about
banking, etc. I always use 7 for that. Even in 7, though, webpages
are becoming more needlessly complicated and ridiculous. I have my
own issues with Firefox, but those are unrelated to the opperating
system. But I still use it because i haven't found anything better.
I wish that Cometbird would be continued, as it is fast, light, and
simple. I often use it when I need to do things without frustration,
though again, not with anything financial. I stopped seriously using
Internet Explorer after version 6. Thank you for your explanation of
ribbons and for your offer of the tutorial. The good thing is that I
don't need to deal with them in 7 either.

If worse comes to worst, I will switch over to Linux. My issue there
is learning a new operating system (though I'm sure that I can do
that, as I did with Leopard and Snow Leopard before giving up on Macs)
and the fact that the version of Eespeak used in Orca has not been
updated to read polytonic Greek, which I use daily. But any computer
with the specifications that I chose should work well with most
versions of Linux. I would be very interested in hearing about that
system, though we should write about it in separate thread.

I have been using Windows 7 for many years now, so it's not exactly as
if I'm transitioning. I have always hated these annoyances. I also
forgot one. "Program not responding"! I have seen XP do it, but only
three or four times in my life. The good thing about 7, though, is
that it usually recovers the program instead of simply crashing it.

Eleni

You could have used Firefox. Vista is no longer supported and over time,
it
will become as archaic and insecure as XP but back then, you could have
used
another browser.