Re: Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article

Pamela Dominguez

And if they have the idea that doing something good will make them more profit, they will probably do it, but only if they think it will. Pam.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 10:03 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article

Long story short: as an old time professor once told me "There isn't any
businessman alive that is in business for his health. They're all in it
for what they can get--profit, profit and more profit."

On 7/2/2017 9:11 AM, Rob wrote:
Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
But the individual human factor should always be taken into account. I
consider myself somewhat cynical as well, but I'm sorry, I can't go through
life assuming that every single person's motivations in the entire world are
suspect all of the time.
There's a basic tenet that I like to follow.
"cui prodest?"
or
"Cui bono?"
It means who benefits, basically, and is one of the major tenets in investegation and legal proceedings. I found it helpful to think about life in general through that filter. When it comes to corporations, government entities, especially. Again, a corporation is all about the bottom line. There's always an agenda.
Anyway, it helps to view life through this filter. Then you're not surprised when some corporation gets caught with egg on its face. I don't think google is going to stop spying on its users; they'll just be more subtle about it. Microsoft has already been yelled at for doing it in windows 10, but it's still happening. We had a discussion on list about that a couple of weeks ago.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

---