Re: 2 Android questions

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

last time I was looking for these, there was VI android on freelists. if it is still there, you may wish to try it. last I was on it, it was a nicer bunch than eyes-free.

On 02/07/17 2:42 PM, James Bentley wrote:
OK, now its my turn. Can you recommend any others?
Thanks,
James B
*From:* Debbie April Yuille <mailto:debbiey1982@optusnet.com.au>
*Sent:* Sunday, July 02, 2017 8:36 AM
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions
Ah, yep, I’m on those lists. I was just seeing if there were any others.
Thanks
Debbie
*From:*main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *James Bentley
*Sent:* Sunday, 2 July 2017 10:34 PM
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io
I joined The android-users list at:
android-users+subscribe@groups.io <mailto:android-users+subscribe@groups.io>
Also, the eyes-free list at:
eyes-free+subscribe@googlegroups.com <mailto:eyes-free+subscribe@googlegroups.com>
If I remember right, the eyes-free isn’t limited to android devices.
James B
*From:*Debbie April Yuille <mailto:debbiey1982@optusnet.com.au>
*Sent:*Sunday, July 02, 2017 6:54 AM
*To:*main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Subject:*Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions
Which lists did you join?
Debbie
*From:*main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *James Bentley
*Sent:* Sunday, 2 July 2017 9:51 PM
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io
So far, there seems to be a lot of free information available. I joined 2 list for blind Android users today
James B
*Sent:*Saturday, July 01, 2017 4:58 PM
*To:*main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Subject:*Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions
There is a book that the National Braille Press has called "Getting Started with Android," by Ana Garza. It cost $24. They ship Free Matter for the Blind. I was shocked that my book came so soon. It is helpful.
Tell us all about your phone, when you get it.
One thing that Joshua or someone might be able to help you with that I have not solved yet, even mentioned it, and that is I haven't been able to use Google OK, because TalkBack talks louder than Google does. I think there is a chapter in the book about it though.
Best from,
Carolyn
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Saturday, July 1, 2017 3:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions
Well, I hate to hear that the center has gone down hill.
I just bought the Samsung Galaxy J710M. I won’t have it for a week.
For now, if you or anyone has a link to a manual or instructions for a blind person to use TalkBack, or, any information about how Android is used by the blind, I sure could get a head start.
Many thanks,
James B
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 12:32 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groupsio>
Not to strey off topic here, but I can say Jeremy is right. I can attest to how Criss Cole treated me.
World Services for the blind treated me well, and did all of what I wanted to learn and taught me a lot.
But yes, hop on skype or look at email lists and many many people can help you with android.
Please write me off list, my email addresses are:
Doliver3183@dougoliver.net <mailto:Doliver3183@dougoliver.net>
Oliver.doug1@gmail.com <mailto:Oliver.doug1@gmail.com>
Please write me at my oliver.doug1@gmail.com <mailto:oliver.doug1@gmail.com> email address as I check it more.
Best,
Doug
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
I'd honestly ask around on lists and to other users of Android before I'd try to get in to CCRC for any type of training as it's garbage there. Austin is truly a wonderful place and a great area for someone to learn some independence, but the way they go about training people and often times, the way they treat those who aren't able to grasp certain things quick enough is right close to being mental abuse. I'd imagine there's peple who'd be willing to hop on skype or whatever that could show you how the different devices work, but yeah, the different email lists are a great place to start.
Take care.
On 6/30/2017 11:11 PM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi,
I’m in Texas. I think you have to be preparing for school or it has to be related to work to go to Cfriss Cole.
I will take a look at the eyes free list.
Thanks,
James B
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 6:48 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Then check out the Eyes-Free list. There are occasional demonstration from blind users, as well as Google has had some excellent presentations that are informative and helpful.
Keep us posted on what you get and how it works.
Are you in Texas? I heard on the Eyes-Free list that they teach both iPhone and Android at Chris Cole. They didn't name the center, but said training center in Austin - duh, where else?
Best from,
Carolyn
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 12:01 PM
Hi Carolyn,
I am actually looking at an unlocked 16GB version of this same phone at Amazon for around $200.00.
Its an unlocked version that appears to work with CMDA or GMS.
I have been very tempted to get in to the Android world...very tempting.
James B
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 9:59 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io
There is a Samsung Galaxy J7V that Verizon has for $240. It has 32 gb's of memory. I did not find out about the processor. The Verizon guy said all in all pretty good phone, not the best camera, I said not a problem, but then we found my phone, so not having to replace right now.
Best from,
Carolyn
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groupsio> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 6:35 AM
Its my understanding that speech accessibility on Android phones comes in many different flavors.
Does any one know which phones are very accesible in the one to two hundred dollar range?
Many thanks for your assistance,
James B
From: Debbie April Yuille mailto:debbiey1982@optusnet.com.au
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 5:28 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io
Hi James
Unfortunately Be My Eyes isn’t available for android. However, TapTapSee is. I use it on my Google Pixel and I love it.
Debbie
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Friday, 30 June 2017 8:24 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions
Hi all,
Are there any plans in the making to have Apps like “Be my eyes or TapTapSee” available on the Android platform?
“If you can’t tell me how many genders there are or when human life begins, I’ll kindly pass on your theories about the weather next century.” Sean Davis

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.