Re: popup I occasionally get

Carlos

I have personally lost faith in Windows Defender AKA Microsoft Security Essentials since they announced a few years ago that they would not invest the effort in making Security Essentials a first-line antivirus scanner.  Supposedly they have since revoked that policy and it's detection rating has improved, but after such a statement I find it difficult to have confidence in it's effectiveness.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] popup I occasionally get

Hi,

Why don’t you try using Windows Defender which comes with Windows 10.

Mr. Ed

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 8:47 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Carlos, Norman and all

It appears to me that both Malware Bytes and AVG offer Anonymizing programs and they advertise them if you use their free antivirus program.  I don't know what they do if you use the paid version.  I don't know about AVG in this respect, but Avast wants to put an add on in your browser, evidently to help in some way make browsing more secure.  I have no idea if removing the add on would eliminate the popup.  I also don't know if, from a security standpoint, you are more secure leaving the add on functioning and in place.  Since the disruption caused by the popup is infrequent and minimal, without more knowledge, it's probably better to leave it active, if it's there.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 7:30 AM

Hi.

I agree. This could probably be fixed by disabling a toolbar or search provider in the browser.

If we know what browser and antivirus are being used that might give us more information to troubleshoot.

HTH.

On 7/4/2017 8:13 AM, Carlos wrote:

Spyware is just a type of malware.  Malwarebytes' can detect all types of malware, but that still doesn't mean it will find everything.  Besides, I believe the implication based on Gene's comments is that these messages are possibly being generated by antivirus software which makes sense in hindsight.

Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 3:05 AM

Wonder if he has tried a spyware remover . I have not used one myself and would not know which one to recommend . But I would think something like this might do something a little different than malware bites . Don’t see how it would hurt.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Monday, July 3, 2017 11:35 PM

I use avast and have never used AVG, but it wouldn't surprise me if this popup happens with avast as well.

Troy

Sent: Monday, July 03, 2017 9:44 PM

Do you use or have you used AVG?  See this discussion. 

Gene

Sent: Monday, July 03, 2017 6:09 PM

Ad Blockers don't remove adware.  They stop ads from being displayed.  I have no idea if they would block ads from adware, but regardless, the adware is still there.

Gene

Sent: Monday, July 03, 2017 5:47 PM

It sounds like you are getting some Adware. Install an adware blocker such as Ad Blocker Plus for IE or other browsers to remedy your problem. This is a free add-on that works well. You can google it to find the download website.

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2017 4:40 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] popup I occasionally get

Hi all,

Once in a while when I open a web page I'll get a popup that says the following:

Anyone can see what you do online

Keep your browsing safe and private.

HIDE ME NOW

I've scanned with malware bytes and I'm clean from that perspective so what is this and do I need to get rid of it since I only get it occasionally?  And, if I do need to do something what do I do and how?

Btw hitting alt-f4 closes the popup and I'm back on the page I want, and it doesn't show in what I pasted above but the first thing I hear when I get this popup is something that sounds like seth toaster.

Troy

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.