Re: Files Missing in Netbook

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

I feel extremely lucky right now. my used PC purchase appears to have been more fortunate. the only thing is I can't put it to second screen, which of all things, is not the seller's fault.

On 11/07/17 7:42 AM, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
I bought all but one of my computers that way and never had a problem.
I would never buy a used computer from an individual.

Gene

From: Eleni Vamvakari
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:28 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Files Missing in Netbook

Restore was another folder that I had to add because it wasn't there.
I think I'll ll just do the usual and send this off to my friend. I'm
sending him my other machines anyway. I was just hoping to have
something decent to use while I waited for the other ones. I do, but
it's extraordinarily old, even for me! Maybe, I'll keep one here and
send it later. But if all goes well, I should receive at least one
computer back in a day or two. At any rate, The seller of this Asus
said nothing about modifying the system. He said that he wiped it and
installed one or two things, but that was it. I even had to go into
the registry and delete his show drive letter first key because the
drives listed in my Computer looked strange. For example, my flash
drive should say Sampson F. Instead, it said F Sampson, but I
couldn't access it by hitting F. That worked well, and it was the
only thing that I changed in the registry. I never work with it
unless I have step by step instructions. Returning to the subject of
the missing files, they were not in System32. There wasn't even a
Windows NT folder. I had to add that as well!

I'm not sure why you are having problems with Wordpad. I can send you
the
files necessary for Word Pad. You can place them in a folder. You don't
have to remove the Word Pad currently installed. You can run the program
by
pressing enter on the exe file or by creating a shortcut for the exe file
and creating a short cut command for that file.

Also, just because something is missing from accessories doesn't mean the
program is missing. If you look in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\restore
you should find a file named rstrui.exe
Create a shortcut for the file or use send to desktop create shortcut.
Then
create a shortcut key so you can run it quickly and conveniently.

I'm not sure where other programs and utilities are but they may all be
there.

As far as something working properly is concerned and then suddenly not,
have you done any disk mmaintenance? Check Disk will correct disk errors
and, if you know where the log is, it will tell you what it did. It may
give you an indication if sectors on the disk have failed. If many have,
that may mean the hard drive is deteriorating and should be replaced.
Carlos can doubtless tell you about other disk health checking utilities
that will tell you a good deal more. But before using a new copy of
Wordpad
and whatever else is causing problems, Check Disk would be a good thing
do.