Re: Threading messages, was: What happened

Quentin Christensen

Interesting,

I just went into the GMail web view and looked and they are all together there, though I think what GMail does is simply list the messages one after the other in order they were received.

What conversation view or threading generally is, comes out as more of a tree view, so if you and I keep going back and forth to each other now - THOSE messages would all be grouped together, but if someone else replied to an earlier message and that forked off into its own conversation, those messages would be kept with each other as well, and you could see they originated from the same conversation but you can easily follow each branch of that conversation. The way that works is that every email sent has a unique Message ID. So if I look at the header for your email message, it has Message ID:

13FFD467208B5B2F.21584@groups.io

Which doesn't mean anything to me, or to you, but if you look at the headers of my message, it will have in there

So E-Mail programs who are setup to, know that this message I've written, is directly in reply to your message.

The messages sent from the Braillenote and Braille Sense don't include that information, so GMail can see that the subject is the same and dumps them together, but only sorted by time, not actually knowing which message it goes with.

It's not a huge issue if reading the list in more or less real time, but if someone comes along tomorrow and wants to see what we were all talking about in this thread, they'll have a hard time following because many of the messages seem to start off their own conversations.

On 1/09/2015 8:39 PM, √ėyvind Lode wrote:
Hm, maybe I'm misunderstanding something but I see all these messages
grouped together as one conversation.
There is currently 7 messages in this thread and all are grouped
together in gmail.

On 1 September 2015 at 12:34, rajmund <brajmund2000@...> wrote:
Hi Quenton,
But, the same happens with the braille sense u2 from HIMS. That's why I was
recommending to add a filter to my name, too, to make it less tedious. I
didn't take it personally or anything, don't worry about it. If you do hear
back from HumanWare, please let me know what they say, I'm interested.
Never the less, though, this means I might get through spam filters? LOL,
that would be interesting.

Sent from a BrailleNote

From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin.christensen@...
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 17:43:18 +1000

Yep, this one came through as an original message as well.

Apparently neither machine creates the "In-Reply-To" or
"X-Orig-Message-Id" header to keep the previous message ID to follow.

On 1/09/2015 5:09 PM, rajmund wrote:
Hi Quenton,
LOL, sorry about that. That particular message was sent from a
braille sense, with sense mailer ver 5.02. This is the apex. Am I
still coming up as a new message?

Sent from a BrailleNote

From: Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date: Tuesday, 1 September 2015 5:06 am
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] What happened

Hi There,

What modern mail client or web mail interface does not support filtering?

On 8/31/2015 6:31 PM, rajmund wrote:
Hi Flor,
All these things are a personal preference. It can be looked how you
mean. But those of us who are going through hundreds and hundreds of
messages, with an email client that supports no filters, this can be
tedious. I just deal with it, though, I know how life could be
easier. But then again, why do I subscribe, if I can't do it? So
yeah, its really a personal preference, in my opinion.

Sent from a BrailleNote

From: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date: Monday, 31 August 2015 10:34 pm

Hi,
For me, the worst nightmare is when someone cross-posts the same message
multiple lists (I did ask people on the lists I moderate to not
cross-post,
or if they have to do that, either use BCC or ask the mods first).
Cheers,
Joseph

From: Donald L. Roberts <donald.roberts99@...
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date: Monday, 31 August 2015 9:31 pm

Although I am still subscribed, I got very frustrated with the
moderation
and sometimes the lack thereof. I very much dislike the fact that there
are
more and more persons on Blindtech who are cross posting all over the
place.
It is not unusual to see the same message no fewer than five or six times
on
various lists. And I hope that those cross posts do not show up here.
This
prompts a question. Is there a utility which will somehow delete cross
posted messages? Setting up filters to do this would be a huge
undertaking.

Don Roberts

On 8/31/2015 12:47 PM, Carlos wrote:

Welcome to the list Cristsbal. Indeed it is active. We currently have
about 98 members.

LOL let's just say that I had a difference of opinion in the art of list
management with the owner/moderators of BlindTech.