Re: some USB 3 questions

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

Here is what I found on the voltage and current output of the different USB ports. The wattage (power) can easily be calculated as per the formula shown:

"The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire to power connected USB devices.

A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0."

As power is equal to current times voltage, all you have to do is multiply 5V with the current the device is drawing from the port.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 4:52 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] some USB 3 questions

Forgot, It does not matter if a machine is asleep. My computer can be shut down, but I can connect things to the usb ports and they will charge.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: August-09-17 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] some USB 3 questions

No, no scsi, it means universal serial bus. Duuhhh, I think.
Whether it is usb 1, 2, or 3 referrs to the data transfer rate; this has nothing to do with the time required to charge a device. The time required to charge a device is determined by the particular battery in that device.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Mehler
Sent: August-09-17 3:07 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] some USB 3 questions

Hello,

With regarding USB3 does anyone know what the indicator AUSP means?
It's something with SCSI in it's name.

Secondly, if a machine's asleep can USB3 ports charge a device?

If USB3 devices can charge something is it a fast charge or a slower charge?

Thanks.
Dave.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.