Re: accessible car radios

Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...>

The only thing I hate worse than a car radio that is not accessible is a drive through ATM that is not brailed. Laughs!

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:18 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] accessible car radios

Sorry, I have to disagree. My Sony Walkman SRF-M37 has better sensitivity, selectivity and sound quality than the average car radio when coupled with a good set of earbuds or headphones. Factory installed car audio systems tend to have boomy bass and overly bright treble. I have noticed that in some cars, the radio controls seem to be positioned closer to the driver than to the front seat passenger, anyway, so making them accessible would be moot.
Automobile controls and gauges are designed to optimize safety and convenience for the driver, not the front seat passenger. If you really want an accessible car radio, then find a classic car collector and buy a nicely restored 55 Chevy or Cadillac or or 56 Plymouth Fury or other Harley Earle or Virgil Exner inspired chrome clad, fin adorned creation from the 50's or 60's. They all have old-fashioned radios with pushbutton station
presets and rotary tuning and volume controls. Ifyou believe that car
makers should be compelled to make their radios accessible to blind passengers, then I suggest contacting one of the blindness advocacy organizations and imploring them to sue the bastards. See how far you get.

Gerald

clad fin