Re: Request: Amazon Echo, Basics And Difference Between Types

Robin Frost

Hi,
How do you find the sound output of the show as compared with the original echo?
And does memory fail me or was there going to be a podcast on it or am I recalling wrongly?

Robin

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:14 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Request: Amazon Echo, Basics And Difference Between Types

There is also the Echo Show, this is an echo device that has a 7 inch
screen for interacting.
And yes, it is accessible right out of the box with Amazon's VoiceView
screen reader.
The show is $230 aprox.

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Phone: (716) 543-3323 (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
Facebook: mysticaccessempower

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 14:37:00 +0000
"Blackwell, Clifford" <cblackwell@...> wrote:

There are primarily three Echo devices, the original Echo, the Echo Dot and the Echo Tap. They all are operated through Amazon's Alexa personal assistant. The original Echo, currently on sale for approx $100, is a columnary speaker that must be plugged into an outlet. I do not own this model, but reviews say it is a reasonably good though not outstanding speaker. It can also connect to another speaker through blue tooth. The Echo Dot is a smaller puck-like device that also is powered through an outlet connection. It's speaker is adequate for voice output and martginally adequate for music. It can connect to an external speaker via blue tooth or through a stereo jack in the back of the device. The Echo Tap size wize falls between the Dot and the original Echo, but is portable in that it has a builtin rechargeable battery. Both the Echo and the Dot have external battery packs that can be purchased, though they are pricy. The Tap's speaker is supposed to be reasonably good though not great. Originally, one had to touch a button on the Tap to issue a voice command, but a firmware update has added the "always on" functionality of the Echo and the Dot to the Tap.

The Echo is currently on sale for $100, the Dot, I think is on sale for $40 and I don't know the current price of the Tap, but it is usual around $125. All three must be connected to a wifi network to enable their functioning.

You can ask questions, play music, play radio stations from Tune I, Pandora or I Heart Radio. Play podcasts, play games, etc. I would say the informational seeking aspects of the Echo products are not great and that the competitor Google Home may be better for that. However, the entertainment consuming functions of the Echo products are many and fun.

I see some complaining that they can do all that the Echo products do on their keyboards. That's probably true, but the Echo products give one much more flexibility in placement and there is an ease of use to the process that is nice.

The Echo and the Tap will only play sources in blue tooth mono. With the audio jack on the Dot, you can connect to a pair of powered speakers or to a stereo for stereo outpu.

You can have more than one device in a house or apartment playing the same or different material. One feature the Google Home has that I wish they'd build in to the Echo products is the ability to synche output among several different devices.

I've found that connection to a wifi network sometimes goes easily and sometimes goes very difficult. In the hard cases, sighted help has generally been sufficient to get things right.

I hope that helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 6:35 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Request: Amazon Echo, Basics And Difference Between Types

Hi Group,

From time to time, I have seen mention of the Echo or Amazon Echo on this and other technical lists. I haven't paid a lot of attention. Yesterday, a relatively non computer savvy friend of mine called me and is raving about it as a be all and end all for Blind people and folks in general. He gave me some of the low down: you can receive radio stations, browse the web with a Protana type voice activation and so on. I see there are 2 or 3 types: one more portable and so on.

Could some one point me to a tutorial or web page or just give general
information concerning this device. I see the Echo itself is currently
on sale for a hundred dollars US.

Thanks for any help.

--

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Phone: (716) 543-3323 (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
Facebook: mysticaccessempower

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.