Re: Dialing an extension with the iPhone.

Janet

Gene,

Just so we are on the same page, what do you consider a menu tree?

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:16 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dialing an extension with the iPhone.

I wasn't talking much about extensions.  I'm talking mainly about menu trees.  I'm very skeptical that most people use the comma system for menu trees.  As far as extensions are concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot or most people dial them but I don't know that.  That's my guess simply because it sounds like something a lot or most people wouldn't know about.  But for menu trees, press 9 for Spanish, press 2 for store hours, press 3 for bakery, press four for the deli, etc. I really doubt that people use the comma system for that. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2017 8:53 PM

Gene,

I am sorry to say, but I completely disagree with you when you say most people generally use the phone keypad to select an extension, and why would they? If people use the method your talking about, maybe they don’t know how to add a comma along with the phone number when creating a contact, or maybe they just don’t call that  specific phone number often, and I can definitely relate to that as I do that myself.  Most people who I know do use the contacts with a comma method for the specific extension for good reason.  If that way works for you, by all means use it.  You can also select the zero option, and maybe your call will be directed to an operater who can direct your call, and most business phone systems do have this option.  Although, you might just find a place that doesn’t have this option.  Like I said, if it works for you, by all means, go for it! 

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:26 AM

I'm saying that if you call someplace with a menu tree and the first choice is for something like for Spanish, dial nine, that is the first number after the first comma.  You would have to memorize it or make a note of it so you can put it in the number in contacts if you want Spanish.  The second option might be, for customer service, dial 2, for sales, dial 3, for paying bills, press 4 and other numbers for whatever else might be offered.  Then suppose there are more options once you make one of those choices.  I shouldn't have said you would have to memorize them.  You could take notes of all the numbers in their order and put them in contacts.  But people generally enter the information as they hear the announcements.  they don't use a method like having the main number in contacts, then a comma, then an option, then another comma and another option, etc.  And at some point, the menu may change.  I'm saying that for a lot of uses, it's just better to enter numbers as you work through whatever you are working through. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:03 AM

Gene,

Why would you need to memorize the option? I ask this because each time you would call a phone number, you would hear the options, and yes you could manually enter the option you hear as well, and I sometimes do that.  

If your talking about adding the commas, are you referring to phone numbers in contacts? It really doesn’t matter if you have 2 or 3 different numbers or extensions it can be done as well.  I have a few different phone numbers in my contacts with 2 or 3 single numbers for the options.  

Janet

Sent: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:32 AM

But you would have to memorize the option you want, and at times there are a number of different options you have to follow, one after the other.  You would have to separate perhaps two or three options with a comma.  It makes more sense to just press the number when requested.  It might make more sense to use the comma when an extension is being dialed.  But what happens if, for some reason, the system takes longer to answer than usual?

Gene

Sent: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:20 AM

Gene,

The only time you might want to use the comma is when you have a phone number in contacts with an option such as press 1 or 2 etc.  yes it does delay the call, but that is the whole purpose of the comma.  I very seldom manually dial a phone anymore! Loll! I’ve done it before.  I usually read the phone number to Siri, and when I hear the other phone ring, I move the phone away from my ear, which means the phone is on speaker now so I can hear the options.    I then single finger double tap on the middle of the screen to bring the keypad into view.  I then hear the numbers, and I swipe left or right until I hear the number I want to press or the option I want, and I then single finger double tap on that number meaning the option I want.  The call will then just go through unless you hear more options, and if so, just do the exact samething.    

I hope this makes some sense. 

Janet

Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:31 PM

But doesn't the comma just delay the dialing?  I'm not talking about dialing more than one extension.  I'm saying that you constantly see menus where you press 1 for this, 2 for something else, etc.  There must be a way for smart phones to allow you to press a button when you hear an option you want or to manually dial an extension. I just realized that I saw a thread about this perhaps a year or more ago on a list.  I don't remember how it was done but people discussed how to do this. 

also, I don't know if such things are made any longer but a long time ago, you could buy battery operated number generators.  You would hold them up to the mouth piece of dial phones, press a button, and a tone would be played into the mouth piece by the device.  That would let you work with things like menus or extensions if you had a dial phone.  That might be an easier solution, if such things are still made.

Gene 

Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:09 PM

Hi Gene,

If I am understanding you correctly, yes you can use a comma to enter a single number maybe for a department, and you can use another comma to enter another single number maybe for another department as well as an extension.  I know this can be done on an iOS phone, as I do it quite often. 

Janet

Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:50 AM

But such syntax is only good if you are dialing an extension.  It isn't a way to work with situations where you dial a number and then have to press a certain number to select one option, and then another number to select another.  I assume, based on things I've seen in the past with other devices, that the purpose of the commas is to pause, then automatically dial another number.  What if the original number takes longer to answer than anticipated?

How do you manually dial an extension or work with a menu tree? 

Gene

Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:32 AM

Hi all,

When putting a number in your contacts put the main number followed by
two or three commas and then the extension:  415-663-9244,,,128

Obviously, this number is fake, just in case anybody wanted to try it. 
It's more interesting than 612-5555 like the usual example is.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL:  akp@...
web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.