Sent: Monday, September 11, 2017 3:10 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] a Wintrans question

I sometimes use Wintrans for quick and dirty braille translation.  Perhaps I should say that I used to use Wintrans but now have a problem in doing so.

In the past, I would use Wintrans which was installed on a desktop running XP.  But the program was usable because the XP machine had a parallel port.

I bought a USB to parallel converter so that I could do braille translation directly from my Windows 10 system and not have to use the XP machine.  But there is one problem with Wintrans which incidentally is the second incarnation of the program.  As with the first incarnation, in settings one must specify the name of the port to be used.  LPT1 is the default.  So the question becomes: Is there something which I can type in the edit field for the port which will tell the program to use the windows device rather than LPT1?  Fortunately, even the older version of Duxbury has this option.  But for quick translations, I would prefer to use Wintrans if possible.

Thanks for ideas.

Don Roberts