Re: cost of open book

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

It never was $150.00 it was probably a typo. It's always been $1,000.00 or thereabouts.

Before you fork over any money for OB, take a good, hard look at both Kurzie and DocuScan Plus.

Kurzie is the creme de la creme of OCR programs, used by a majority of those who scan books for bookshare. It has an excellent track record and is produced by a company who does nothing but produce OCR software.

DocuScan Plus by Serotek is an excellent buy at $300.00 and works very well for the needs of a home user who wants to read mail the occasional book or newsletter. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Kurzweil 1000, or Open Book, but it does very well with all those .pdf files we keep getting these days. It stores your documents in The Cloud so you always have them. It doesn't even balk at pink paper.

If you are going to start volunteering as a scanner for Bookshare or if you have lots and lots of books you want to scan, I'd go for Kurzie. You've got choices here, and you need to know what they are.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring