Re: cost of open book

Gerald Levy

Is VFO really any more ruthless than Apple?  I’m glad you were able to upgrade Open Book for only $150.  As I mentioned previously, as long as you still have the serial number of the version of Open Book you used at work, they will upgrade it for a nominal fee instead of charging you full price for a new copy.

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:37 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] cost of open book

We wo see  VFO has become a ruthless  corporation.  They want you to by everything they offer.  I really liked Open Book and to get it for a buck fifty is fine for me.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:26 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

And that's why I never believe unquestioningly, anything any support tech tells me.  A perfect example.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:36 PM

Maybee support should actually run the betas.  I ran it on my computer
using my brother all-in-one and it worked.

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Phone: (716) 543-3323  (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
Facebook: mysticaccessempower

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:30:48 -0400
"Jeffrey Schwartz" <jeffreyschwartz0238@...> wrote:

> I just spoke to a tech support guy at  vFo.  I was concerned about the next version of Jaws doing ocr.  I watched  their FS cast and could swear that they said it would work with a scanner..  No, it will only work with their Pearl device.  I had open book on my pc at work, but as my employer paid for it, I had to leave it on their machine.  Then I spoke to the fellow in sales.  He lit up and because it was in my name, he offered me an upgrade for one fifty.  I really liked the program and have a scanner, so I’m happy  as a pig in poop.
>
> Jeff                  @TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matt
> Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:34 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] cost of open book
>

>
> Yes but it will just get better as this is the first release and they seem to take your feedback very good as well.
>

>

>
> Matt
>
>  <mailto:Matt.from.florida@...> Matt.from.florida@...
>

>
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of janet gross
> Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:16 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
>

>
> Matt,
>
> Oh yeah, I just love this new app.  KNFB reader is also just my back up reader since the Seeing A I app came out.  Although, Microsoft still has a little work to do with it, and from my understanding, Microsoft is consistently working to improve it.  This Seeing A I app is also free! 
>
> Janet
>

>

>
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matt
> Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:24 AM
>

>
> Well no you don’t need no vision at all to use KNFB reader. It does take a little practice to get used to it but no different than anything else.
>
> Now this being said there is a new kid on the block and it is Seeing A I app by Microsoft and it is free. It is very good and has now became my main app over KNFB reader. And KNFB reader is my backup app now.
>

>

>
> Matt
>
>  <mailto:Matt.from.florida@...> Matt.from.florida@...
>

>
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pablo Morales
> Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:50 AM
>

>
> Yes, I am totally blind and I use KNFB reader on an android phone without problems. However for work I rather to use Kurzweil.
>

>

>
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
> Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:04 AM
>

>
> I am totally blind. I have 0 vision. and I can position the camera for the knfb app nearly perfect. do you know what the field of view report is used for in knfb reader apps? the field of view report is used to help totally blind people accurately position the camera. and it works excellent. totally blind people can use phone cameras successfully and perfectly fine. this idea that you have to be partially sighted or fully sighted to use a camera is just plain wrong and misleading.
>

>

>
> On 9/13/2017 6:33 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
>

>
> I suspect that many “blind” folks who have success with the KNFB reader app for the IPhone are actually partially sighted  or low vision and so have enough vision to position the camera properly over the document.  But if you are totally blind, a dedicated scanner or camera on a fixed tripod would probably work better.
>

>
> Gerald
>

>

>

>
> From: Michael Boyd <mailto:mike122061@...
>
> Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:50 AM
>
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io
>
>

>

>
> If you don’t have a stand to hold the phone steady in one place, then getting good results with the phone is a shot in the dark at best. KNFB reader’s quality compared to it’s cost is not a feasible choice at all. Not to mention the process of transferring documents scanned with a phone to a computer. Nearly all documents that I scan need to be saved as a Word or Text file to be referenced back to at a later time. I may not purchase another expensive smart phone, All I really ever use it for is making calls. Yes, the GPS functionality, and a few of the gadgets that you can put on it are fine, but they do not function as well as a stand alone device that was developed specifically for it’s intended use, say a color identifier. What the hell is the color Mountain Mist or  Precious Persimmon anyway?
>

>
> Michael
>

>

>

>
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
> Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:51 PM
>

>
> I get very good scanned results with my phone. I position the camera until I get a nearly perfect field of view report then take the picture.
>

>

>
> On 9/12/2017 4:41 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
>
> I don’t find that scanning stuff with my phone works well, most of the time.  Pam.
>

>
> From: Josh Kennedy <mailto:joshknnd1982@...
>
> Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:11 PM
>
>
>

>
> or for $250 you could get a moto e 4th gen plus smartPhone, plus knfb reader. then scan your stuff and save to dropbox to sink to the computer.
>

>

>
> On 9/12/2017 4:00 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:
>

>
> If you don’t want to spend $1000 to purchase a new copy of Open Book, another text to speech program you might want to consider is DocuScan Plus from Serotek, which only costs $400.  Keep in mind that DocuScan Plus is not as feature rich as Open Book, but it might well suffice for your needs if all you want to do is read simple documents.  Also keep in mind that Serotek is on shaky ground these days, having recently lost its chief programmer, and so its future is uncertain.  For more info about DocuScan Plus:
>

>
> http://www.serotek.com/docuscanplus
>

>

>
> Gerald
>

>

>

>
> From: Jeffrey Schwartz <mailto:jeffreyschwartz0238@...
>
> Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:41 PM
>
>
> Subject: [TechTalk] cost of open book
>

>
> For the member who told me it was now one fifty, I just called vfo and it is now one thousand   Things are really changing at vfo.
>
> Jeff
>

>
> --
> sent with mozilla thunderbird
>

>
>
>  <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>
> Virus-free.  <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> www.avg.com
>

>
> --
>

>
> --
>
>
>

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Phone: (716) 543-3323  (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
Facebook: mysticaccessempower

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.