Re: Outlook 2010 Question Please.

david

Exactly, setting the windows live mail to the default, won't help you with the servers, incoming and outgoing.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Outlook 2010 Question Please.

As far as I know, all that setting any program to be the default does is mean that it will do things when not actually instructed to by you. 
For example, if a browser is the default browser, when you click on a link in an e-mail, that browser will open and go to the page.  If  Winamp is the default media player, pressing enter on an audio file will cause that player to open and play the file.  It has no effect on how a program responds or what it does when you open the program and work with it directly, as you are.  If you want to use Windows Live Mail as the default, there is no reason not to set it as the default.  But it won't affect anything such as setting up accounts or the error message you get.  That is, I don't see why it would affect the error message you get.  I've never seen setting any program as the default change anything the program does when you open it yourself and work with it.  It is only to have Windows open that program when you are working in another program or with a file outside of the program and you want that program to open and handle the file.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:59 PM

Hi Mike,

Beautiful message from Carlos I love it!  Thank you.  If I set this to the default, do you know is it difficult   to set it up, meaning the incoming and outgoing mail settings?

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:52 PM

Hi Janet,

You probably need to set WLM as your default email client 1st, here's how:

TO set WLM as the default client:
1. Press the Windows key to open the "Start" menu.
2. Press the Right Arrow key once.
3. Up Arrow to "Default Programs" and select it.
4. Tab to "Set your default programs" and select it.
5. Tab to the list of applications and find WLM.
6. Tab to the "Set this program as default" button and select it.
7. Tab to the "Choose defaults for this program" button and select it.
8. When the "Set Program Associations" dialog opens, check the "Select All"
checkbox.
9. Tab to the "Save" button and select it to exit the "Set Program
Associations" dialog and save the changes.
10. Finally, tab to the "OK" button to exit the "Set Default Programs"
dialog and save the changes.
Carlos

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 10:23 AM

Well, she can receive mail from Hotmail outlook, etc, if she has the right incoming and outgoing servers set correctly.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:11 PM

She is getting the error because WLM will not send and receive email from a Hotmail, Live or Outlook account.

Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 9:55 AM

I'm not sure what Windows Live Mail is doing.  Microsoft, the company, doesn't send spam.  I don't know what you are receiving nor whether using a different program will solve the problem. 

Why Windows Live Mail gives you that message, I don't know but if you remove Outlook and don’t have Windows Live Mail set up yet to work with your e-mail provider, you will not be able to send and receive mail at all. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 11:46 AM

Gene,

Wow, I’m glad to see I can receive a message, and you wouldn’t believe how I have to check this Outlook for new messages!  I think MS must have put some kind of spam on my Outlook because I keep getting junk emails fromMS, and I delete them, but they keep coming back, and I’ve had thousands and thousands of these emails from MS.  Never the less, I just want to get rid of it.  When you say until you have installed Windows Live Mail and it is set up with your account, are you talking about the account with WLm? I don’t think I can setup WLm as long as I have this Outlook on the computer, because it seems like Outlook always  seems to interfear with installing another mail program.  I have WLM on my computer, but as soon as I open WLM, I get a message saying arror can’t receive or send messages from

Janet

Outlook.  I think I should maybe uninstall WLM, and try to reset it again.  If that makes any sense.  io] On Behalf Of Gene

I looked for some way to uninstall WLM, but can’t find anything.  I even looked in the control panel, and still can’t find it. 

Janet

Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 11:19 AM

It doesn't matter if Outlook is installed or not.  You can install and use Windows Live Mail either way.  It would be a good idea to keep Outlook until you have installed Windows Live Mail and it is set up with your account and working properly. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 10:29 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] Outlook 2010 Question Please.

Hi Everyone,
I'm not sure if this message will show up to the list or not, as I've been trying to read and send messages to this list for days, but I'll take another chance at it.  I want to know if I completely delete Outlook 2010 from my computer, can I install WLM?  I am having so many problems with this Outlook 2010, and I can't stand it, and I just want to get rid of it!  I am running Windows 7 JAWS 18.
I think I asked this question before, but I believe someone told me I have to have Outlook installed on my computer before I could use WLM.
Janet

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.