Re: Outlook 2010 Question Please.

david

Exactly, setting the windows live mail to the default, won't help you with the servers, incoming and outgoing.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Outlook 2010 Question Please.

As far as I know, all that setting any program to be the default does is mean that it will do things when not actually instructed to by you.
For example, if a browser is the default browser, when you click on a link in an e-mail, that browser will open and go to the page.  If  Winamp is the default media player, pressing enter on an audio file will cause that player to open and play the file.  It has no effect on how a program responds or what it does when you open the program and work with it directly, as you are.  If you want to use Windows Live Mail as the default, there is no reason not to set it as the default.  But it won't affect anything such as setting up accounts or the error message you get.  That is, I don't see why it would affect the error message you get.  I've never seen setting any program as the default change anything the program does when you open it yourself and work with it.  It is only to have Windows open that program when you are working in another program or with a file outside of the program and you want that program to open and handle the file.

Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:59 PM

Hi Mike,

Beautiful message from Carlos I love it!  Thank you.  If I set this to the default, do you know is it difficult   to set it up, meaning the incoming and outgoing mail settings?

Janet

From: Carlos
TO set WLM as the default client:
1. Press the Windows key to open the "Start" menu.
2. Press the Right Arrow key once.
3. Up Arrow to "Default Programs" and select it.
4. Tab to "Set your default programs" and select it.
5. Tab to the list of applications and find WLM.
6. Tab to the "Set this program as default" button and select it.
7. Tab to the "Choose defaults for this program" button and select it.
8. When the "Set Program Associations" dialog opens, check the "Select All"
checkbox.
9. Tab to the "Save" button and select it to exit the "Set Program
Associations" dialog and save the changes.
10. Finally, tab to the "OK" button to exit the "Set Default Programs"
dialog and save the changes.
Carlos

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.