Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2015 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] PC Sometimes Won't Shut DownCompletely

I can’t explain it, but I can tell you that this has happened to both my desktop computers I have had that had versions of windows on them.  I mention that because my other desktop that had dos on it didn’t have a way to shut it off automatically like that.  I had to flip a switch.  But both computers that had shut off as a part of the shut down, it sometimes does that, where it exits windows and just sits there on.  Occasionally, I have walked away and not paid attention, assuming that it has shut all the way off, and come back later, only to find out that it is still on.  Hopefully, somebody can enlighten us both.  Pam.

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 6:35 AM

Most of the time, when I press Alt-F4 from the desktop of my Windows 7 PC and click okay on the shut down option, it will exit Windows and shut down normally and the power will shut off.  But once in a while, when I click on okay for the shut down option, I hear the exit Windows sound, but the power does not shut off.  The internal cooling fan continues to run, and the tray for the DVD/CD drive opens and closes when I press the eject button, which means that although the PC has exited Windows, the power remains on.  When this happens, I have to press and hold the power button on the front panel for a few seconds to insure that the PC completely shuts down and the power shuts off.  Can anyone explain why my PC will occasionally refuse to shut down completely when I activate the shut down option?  Thanks.

Gerald