From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Mary Otten
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 10:19 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] is there a standalone kindle reader that blind folks
can use?

Hi Jim,
Yes, you can certainly use the Kindle on a PC with either Jaws or NVDA. The
support has gotten much better in the last couple of months. And yes, you
can also use some of the Kindle e-reader‘s. Those are the devices that are
made just for reading books. Otherwise, the cheapest alternative is to
purchase a Kindle fire tablet. That lets you re-kindle books and also do
other things. And right now, those tablets are on a good deal of Amazon. The
cheapest one is the fire seven and I think it’s $30 right now. The HD eight
is $50, and the HD 10 is $100 for the les expensive device. Aside from size,
the major difference that would concern us would be the fact that both
theeight and the 10 have two speakers, and they sound better than the seven.
Also the 10 has a newer processor and more storage space, although all of
them come with a card slot. I don’t have personal experience using the E
readers, but I know that some of them can be used.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 27, 2017, at 10:00 AM, Jim Rawls <jazzpiano@ca.rr.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I don’t have a kindle reader now, but I am thinking about getting one. Is
there a standalone kindle reader that I can get that I wouldn’t have to use
my computer with it? If not that, how does one use the kindle with a P?C?
Jim